Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by zimfan1 »

Test cricket! I wonder how many more years we will have of this?

Lets go and get them boys!

jaybro

Re: Match Thread: Afghanistan v Zimbabwe 1st Test (2nd-6th March)

Post by jaybro »

9BE9B346-9AC6-4183-A094-3E377C03608C.jpeg
9BE9B346-9AC6-4183-A094-3E377C03608C.jpeg (149.59 KiB) Viewed 2510 times

Huge news!!!!

Win the toss & they’re a chance
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

My thoughts on the match -

I find it very hard to be confident about Zimbabwe's chances considering the amount of players missing from the XI, you could argue there six players at home that could/ should be in the side for the first Test. But with the likes of BT, Ervine & KJ missing is this the chance for Tari, Burl, Wes & Blessing to step out and show that the next chapter of Zimbabwe cricket can be a fruitful one?

The fact Rashid Khan is out is a game changer, I really felt if he played that regardless of what the rest of his team mates produced, he would take 11 or 12 wickets and probably score a quick fire 50 to bury Zimbabwe, the absence of his batting is huge in itself, the rest of the Afghanistan bowlers can't really hold a bat, so his runs at No.8 could have been vital. Sure Amir Hamza & Zahir Khan will cause Zimbabwe problems, but Rashid is a different beast and his absence gives Zimbabwe a chance.

As always in Dubai winning the toss and batting puts you well ahead of your opponent, but only if you take advantage of it! If Zimbabwe are able to win the the toss they need to make sure their batsman show the same application, concentration and determination they have thus far in the warm up games. All the seven batsman who are likely to be named have been in and amongst the runs during the two home intra-squad matches at home and also the game last week against Afghanistan at the academy ground, and they'll all need to contribute runs here.

I think it's pretty clear Zimbabwe will go with the 8-3 lineup and use the all-round options of Burl, Wes, Raza & Williams to subsidise the runs and hopefully wickets missing from a 4th front line bowler. Whether Zimbabwe decide to go with three seamers and no front line spinner is probably the biggest question mark over the final XI, I think the fact neither Wellington or Mavuta have much experience or form behind them might lead the brains trust into going this way.

The next question is which three seamers do you play? Blessing seems to be a lock, whilst I think the selectors are very tempted to pick Ngarava to open the bowling with Blessing, this would give Zimbabwe two big tall bowlers (Right & left hand combo as well) which could cause the Afghanistan batsman some trouble. The remaining spot will come down to either Tiripano or Nyauchi, considering both bowlers are similar in speed and ability, it will likely come down to batting and clearly 'the Don' wins that debate.

Tiripano's experience and ability to bowl long tight spells on wickets that offer nothing to him, will also hold him in good stead when it comes to the selection table, with Blessing having only One test innings of bowling under his belt, and Ngarava being on debut it makes more sense for Tiripano to be picked. In all likely hood the decision will come down to either Nyauchi or Ngarava, unless they do spring a surprise and pick a spinner. The other thing to consider is that in the 5 Tests under Rajput, Zimbabwe have always played a traditional 7-4 lineup, so they could spring another surprise and pick 3 seamers and a spinner.

My XI

Kasuza
Masvaure
Musakanda
Williams c
Burl
Raza
Madhevere
Regis wk
Tiripano
Blessing
Ngarava

All in all it looks to be a fascinating matchup between two sides who rarely play this form of cricket and who are both missing some key players. If you don't like my preview here's a link to the espncricinfo preview

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/afg ... ch-preview
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Lost the toss. We are bowling first

Playing 11

Masvaure
Kasuza
Williams
Madhevere
Musakanda
Burl
Raza
Chakabva
Tiripano
Blessing
Nyauchi

8-3

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I personally would have picked Ngarava over Nyauchi but I guess Nyauchi is more experienced. What I do like about Ngarava is that he is taller and faster and would have been offering something different .

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Probably decent xi without brmt and Ervine. I hope we do well.

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

Livestreaming link: https://youtu.be/IQEya2Jl43o

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

Teams:

Afghanistan (Playing XI): Abdul Malik, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Asghar Afghan(c), Afsar Zazai(w), Munir Ahmad, Amir Hamza, Yamin Ahmadzai, Zahir Khan, Abdul Wasi

Zimbabwe (Playing XI): Kevin Kasuza, Prince Masvaure, Sean Williams(c), Wesley Madhevere, Tarisai Musakanda, Sikandar Raza, Ryan Burl, Regis Chakabva(w), Donald Tiripano, Blessing Muzarabani, Victor Nyauchi

Afghanistan have won the toss and have opted to bat

saifulsohel05

Post by saifulsohel05 »

Wicket in very first ball of the match for Muzarabani!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

:W: blessing!