[MATCH THREAD] 2nd Test Afghanistan v Zimbabwe @Abu Dhabi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

[MATCH THREAD] 2nd Test Afghanistan v Zimbabwe @Abu Dhabi

Post by jaybro »

A day out from the start of the 2nd Test, no talk about it here on the forum and not even a match preview from espncricinfo yet !!! Considering this is could be Zimbabwe's first Test Series win since 2004 (excluding one off tests) I find this a tad disappointing, I myself have been counting the sleeps.

Looking at the match I can't see Zimbabwe winning inside two days again, Afghanistan will be smarting and surely they can't bat any worse? Also I find it hard to believe the curators will serve up another pitch that suits the Zimbabwe seamers so much again, and if they did Afghanistan won't be silly enough to play three spinners on it.

The pitch will be the biggest factor towards who will have the upper hand in this match, both teams are fairly evenly matched but the nature of the deck could tilt the weight heavily either way. The second biggest factor will be the return of Rashid Khan, there's no doubt Rashid would have had some joy on the 1st test wicket, spinners Hotak, Zahir & all the Zimbabwe guys got lots of turn and purchase. Zimbabwe will need to find a way to combat the t20 superstar over the duration of the match, otherwise the result could have a massive swing.

You'd assume Afghanistan will make quite a few changes to their XI, Rashid will come in for Wasi, who barely got a bowl anyway, Zahir might also make way for an extra seamer if the deck has any resemblance to last week's one. We could see changes in the batting too, the opener on debut Malik got a pair, so he might make way, whilst no one in the middle order made runs and Bahir Shah has a 1st Class average of 72!!!!

For Zimbabwe it's hard to see them making any changes to a side that won so empathically, all the seamers bowled well and they got good service from all four spinners, If the pitch is totally different and it looks flat and bare, they might think about playing a front line spinner, either Wellington or Mavuta, but I doubt they will. Batting wise despite four of the eight batsman failing in the first dig, I can't see them making any changes, mostly because Richmond Mutumbami is the only batsman left on the bench.

It's hard to see Afghanistan being able to rebound from such a bad defeat to win only a week later, but the inclusion of Rashid and the likely hood that the pitch will be different does make it not only possible, but probable that Afghanistan can not only bridge the gap, but actually win the match.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/zim ... cket-score
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC2

Re: [MATCH THREAD] 2nd Test Afghanistan v Zimbabwe @Abu Dhabi

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes I doubt they are going to make a change. Even if the deck is flat or suits spinners I would still go with fast bowlers because they can grind some wickets out if we have a game plan for every batsman. I don’t think Mavuta will be more of a threat than Burl.

The other possible change might be Prince for Mutumbami and then Chakabva opens . The brave change would be Ngarava for Don. He would have gotten a lot out of those conditions in the first test. He is tall and quick and a leftie. Something completely different. He gets a lot of LBWs. After what I saw last week I know he can make a difference. If we stick to the same plan we will lose

Zimco
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Zimco »

Afghanistan are still bookie favorites 1.63 to 2.65 for Zim.

I think the odds should be much closer together as it really hard to predict this match.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:54 am
Yes I doubt they are going to make a change. Even if the deck is flat or suits spinners I would still go with fast bowlers because they can grind some wickets out if we have a game plan for every batsman. I don’t think Mavuta will be more of a threat than Burl.

The other possible change might be Prince for Mutumbami and then Chakabva opens . The brave change would be Ngarava for Don. He would have gotten a lot out of those conditions in the first test. He is tall and quick and a leftie. Something completely different. He gets a lot of LBWs. After what I saw last week I know he can make a difference. If we stick to the same plan we will lose
I agree about Ngarava, but as you said it seems like a big call & the Don did take 4 wickets throughout the match, and he always seems to make runs at some point in a series.

I think Prince is a certain starter, I get the feeling the team & staff have a lot of faith in him & feel he brings a lot to the squad.

Another thing to remember is that he’s a leftie, if Rashid Khan does play then the more lefties the better.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

It would be pretty sick to have Ngarava, Victor and Blessing in the same side. So much variation there.
Left arm, right arm swing and right arm bounce and added pace.
I like the Don but I think he's simply not quite enough

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Quick

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Tiripano bowled neatly but looks very much like an English county batsman who is a disciplined contributor as a medium pacer.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Less grass this time so I would consider Wellington to come in for The Don. Already batting down to 8 anyway without Don

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Pitch and conditions

The Abu Dhabi surface proved surprisingly seamer friendly in the first Test with a green grass covering and good bounce, but also took turn early on. Sean Williams described it as being a "carpet on one side and a dustbowl on the other." Blessing Muzarabani's observations of the second Test strip is that it has less grass on it but he still expects good bounce. It's heating up in the Emirates with temperatures into the 30s and Friday set to be a scorcher at 36 degrees.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/zim ... ch-preview

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Afghanistan won the toss, chose to bat

Deck looks much different to the 1st test, no grass and very dry. It will be a nightmare come day 4 & 5

Afghanistan make 5 changes including Rashid returning

Zimbabwe same side