Two new balls and field restrictions - Death of ODI cricket?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Two new balls and field restrictions - Death of ODI cricket?

Post by sam_ahm »

Folks, what do you make of this 2 new ball and field restrictions till 40th over rule?

It has completely eliminated spin and reverse swing from the game, batting has never been so easy, batsmen are hitting 6s as if they are taking singles.

Almost every other game today, 320, 330 is a par score. Scoring under 300 more often means you've already lost the game. ODI cricket now is just a prolonged version of T20s.

Ashwin and Broad have recently spoken about how shit this rule is.

I also feel it has impacted teams with less power hitters and those who relied more on spin and reverse swing, than some other teams.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Two new balls and field restrictions - Death of ODI cricket?

Post by sloandog »

India will no doubt have had a heavy hand in this decision

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Is India are complaining about it, they’ll change the rules for them
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

It has probably benefited ENG, Aus, NZL a lot more than subcontinental teams to be honest, but that is not my point.

It has made the ODI format, extremely boring to watch. The format I grew up watching the most.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Gautam Gambhir has echoed exactly the same thoughts today on twitter.

The rules of the game seem so lopsided in favour of batsmen that bowlers seem redundant, ‘also rans’. @ICC urgently needs to relook at the circle rule, two new balls and bouncer restrictions. Otherwise bowlers will be reduced to programmed bowling machines @bcci

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

The bowlers seem more relevant in T20 cricket unbelievably enough.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Money making is the prime criteria in shorter format cricket

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I don’t mind the rules favouring the batsman, new balls and field restrictions are fine, it’s the pitches they are preparing that are killing ODI cricket.

By taking all the characteristics out of the pitches and making them flat roads, it’s imo not a cricket game anymore. The thing I love most about the game is the different conditions changing the game and tactics, and I love all the different modes of dismissals, now it’s just about bowling slower balls and hoping they miss hit a slog and caught in the boundary.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

grant

Post by grant »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 am
I don’t mind the rules favouring the batsman, new balls and field restrictions are fine, it’s the pitches they are preparing that are killing ODI cricket.

By taking all the characteristics out of the pitches and making them flat roads, it’s imo not a cricket game anymore. The thing I love most about the game is the different conditions changing the game and tactics, and I love all the different modes of dismissals, now it’s just about bowling slower balls and hoping they miss hit a slog and caught in the boundary.
+1

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 am

Valid point mate. Pitches and short boundaries have made things even more disgusting.