Logan Cup: Goats v Rocks & Tuskers v Eagles

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Logan Cup: Goats v Rocks & Tuskers v Eagles

Post by Boundary »

Donald

Post by Donald »

Ngarava is on fire at the moment. Certainly the most improved zim bowler I have seen recently. A yard of pace has been added and some swing. I would like to see him in the Pakistan squad and in starting line up. It would be unlucky for nyauchi as he hasn't done a lot wrong but Ngarava offers something different as a left armer and would be a potent partner with blessing I feel

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Donald wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:15 pm
Ngarava is on fire at the moment. Certainly the most improved zim bowler I have seen recently. A yard of pace has been added and some swing. I would like to see him in the Pakistan squad and in starting line up. It would be unlucky for nyauchi as he hasn't done a lot wrong but Ngarava offers something different as a left armer and would be a potent partner with blessing I feel
Unfortunately you can’t drop a man who scored 95 at number 9 but we all know who should be dropped. I don’t know how effective Nyauchi can be against Pakistan. He might have to be sacrificed. Knowing ZC Ngarava will probably play the second test

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

TapsC2 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:43 pm
Donald wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:15 pm
Unfortunately you can’t drop a man who scored 95 at number 9 but we all know who should be dropped. I don’t know how effective Nyauchi can be against Pakistan. He might have to be sacrificed. Knowing ZC Ngarava will probably play the second test
I think you can if his bowling is insufferably worse than the other front line bowlers.
There is a string argument that the Don can come in as either an opener or genuine number 7 batsman in the way Shane Watson was. A batter who makes the team as a batsman but good enough as a seamer to provide some foil for the front line bowlers to gine them a rest.
1/2 spells a test innings with the hope he jags one.

Don as a bowler simply isn’t good enough. Don as a batsman is very much a chance, if only he concentrated on it younger. He has the ability to apply himself. Although we should remember he was up against Afghanistan.

This puts him as a competitor to Burl, who seems to have the complete opposite problem.
We can’t keep justifying Burl as a batsman alone, but to be honest his bowling is coming along pretty well and could genuinely be the best wrist spinner, or even spinner, in the country!
Burl the bowler has the added benefit of him coming good as a bat eventually and makes him a decent number 7/8 option.
But then, do we have room anymore for Don?

As far as I see it, this is our best test team atm.

1 Open Spot/Kasuza/k-long/Musakanda/Kaia bro/Wes/Shumba
2 Open spot/Prince
3 Ervine
4 Taylor
5 Williams
6 Raza
7 Chikabva/Moor
8 Burl
9 Evans/Nyauchi/Chivanga/ chatara
10 Jarvis (this could be outdated)
11 Blessing

The other thing that needs looking at is the opening spot.
There’s a string hhm type case that maybe Craig should open and save a middle for a Wes/Myers/anyone listed above.
If the argument against that is he isn’t that great at pace, then there is a strong school of thought for mine that he maybe is suited to our number 5 spot against the spin, as BT and Willo are good options for 3 and 4.

One thing I’m certain on is Chisoro should be nowhere near our squad.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

People again falling into the trap of wanting to pick a bowler because he can bat, Tiripano needs to be bowling well first, the batting is just a bonus. His average of 23 or what ever isn't good enough to demand a spot in the top 7.

It would be a tough decision to drop him, but unless they prepare seamer friendly decks he ain't going to take any wickets. On such a deck he all of a sudden becomes a very useful player, because his bowling will become more dangerous and his lower order batting will be useful. But I doubt ZIm will want to give Shaheen any more assistance than he already has.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Donald

Post by Donald »

Stick ngarava in.
Two bean poles in him and blessing will cause Pakistan problems with the red ball I'm sure with the left arm right arm combination from height. Would be nice to have chivanga or Brad Evans as the third seamer but I'm sure it will be tiripano.
ZC need to be a bit braver though and invest in the future. Tiripano is 33 and won't be getting any faster

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Donald wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:26 pm
Stick ngarava in.
Two bean poles in him and blessing will cause Pakistan problems with the red ball I'm sure with the left arm right arm combination from height. Would be nice to have chivanga or Brad Evans as the third seamer but I'm sure it will be tiripano.
ZC need to be a bit braver though and invest in the future. Tiripano is 33 and won't be getting any faster
Evans seems like he can hold a bat too, a trio of Evans, Blessing & Ngarava might be a good attack in the future
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jaybro wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:29 am
Evans seems like he can hold a bat too, a trio of Evans, Blessing & Ngarava might be a good attack in the future
That is definitely exciting.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've said it a thousand times, Evans is going to be an excellent red ball bowler. The more FC he plays the better he is going to get. His economy is excellent as well. Lots of maidens which suggests to me that he's got a degree of accuracy as well. A much better selection than Akram.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Ngarava excites me. He bowled with some pace against Pakistan and then Afghanistan. Not sure what else there is in the domestic structure but in Blessing and Ngarava we have two young, tall blokes who can bend their backs a bit. I still think Kyle Jarvis has a lot to offer and if he's fit should still be selected.