Chamu Chibhabha

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Chamu Chibhabha

Post by Train Driver »

Anybody notice the article on cricinfo about Chamu ?

Dated 17th june, it states that he has been selected to play for the University of the West Indies Vice Chancellors XI against Australia on saturday at the Three W's Oval.

It's a pretty weak side with only Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul and Darren Sammy very well known.

Did anyone know he was in the WI or how he has come to be selected ?

It seems a pretty unusual selection but hopefully he will put up a good display, best of luck to him.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Chamu Chibhabha

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Yeah. I wanted to post it on brmtaylor.com, but I couldn't think of any way to bulk it up beyond 2 lines :?

I've found hardly any information about it. I assume it is because the team likes to have an overseas player - they had Steve Tikolo a few years ago. Chibhabha played a great series in the West Indies last time Zimbabwe toured there. It wouldn't have been hard to get him over, he had no international commitments... hence, it happened.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

No idea why not, but Chamu did not play in this game.

The Australians steamrollered the Vice Chancellors XI by 211 runs in this 50 over match.

Maybe he will be glad that he didn't play !

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Train Driver wrote:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:42 am

The Australians steamrollered the Vice Chancellors XI by 211 runs in this 50 over match.

Time for chibhabha to retire from international cricket

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Train Driver wrote:
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:42 am

Zimbabwe prodigy son

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

He’s a genuine allrounder can’t argue with that , he’s equally shit at batting and bowling military mediums .
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

Andybligzz

Post by Andybligzz »

Can’t say there’s to many captains that have been allrounders and been able to perform all 3 acts equally but hold your horses because we might be witnessing something very rare in this department . If he’s captaincy is as bad as his batting and bowling , maybe just maybe Zim will be the first country to claim this prized stat. Thoughts and prayers
The Zimbabwe Cricket team have found Ebola in one of their members, but they're not concerned because they have also found Ebatsmen and Efielda!

kudet

Post by kudet »

https://www.sundaymail.co.zw/chibhabha- ... -captaincy

Zimbabwe Cricket team under Chamu Chibhabha will be a “fearless” unit or as the 33-year-old calls it “die trying to win”.

The new white-ball cricket skipper wants a shift in mentality, sooner rather than later and will rather lose trying to be aggressive than sedate as the game has evolved, reckons Chibhabha.

“It’s something I would like to bring into the changing room,” he said.

“I feel like the game has evolved and for us to start winning games we need to catch up with the brand of cricket other teams are playing now.

“It’s a process, yes and I want to bring that positive mindset, and change the current brand of cricket.

“We might fail, here and there, and we are not going to get it overnight, but we will get it right eventually.

“So long as we are prepared to fail, so we can get it right, I believe we can start winning more games.

“If you look at the average scores in ODI cricket, you look at 290s, and if you really want to put a team under pressure, you know you have to score 300-plus,” he said.

Chibhabha and  Sean Williams (after the birth of his first child) are expected to join up with the rest of the ODI squad in Bangladesh this week.

Zimbabwe will play Bangladesh in three ODIs between March 1-6 before two T20s on March 9 and 11.

“I can’t wait to lead the team onto the field             . . .  can’t wait to land in Bangladesh and take on my first task as captain,” said Chibhabha, who was appointed captain in January.

“It’s a big responsibility and I feel honoured and privileged to take on this job.

“I have played for a long time and the appointment has come at the right time.

“When you have played for a long time; you mature as a player, and your understanding of the game is different from when you are a youngster.

“I think it’s going to be enjoyable, considering the experience I have gained over the years.

“Obviously as the leader, responsibility forces you to step up, not only to lead the team, but to back it up with performances.

The Sunday Mail caught up with Chibhabha when he was about to go to his farm, soon after practice with Eagles last week.

He is already planning for life after cricket.

“I will play this game for as long as I can . . . as long as I feel good and my body still feels good.

“When I show up for cricket I give 100 percent, the mindset is the same when am doing whatever I am doing on the side.

“I am not going to play cricket forever; so I need to prepare for life after cricket, I feel it’s important for most of us here.

“With sport anything can happen, at any day, and so you need to make sure your future is set.

‘I think it’s one for the most important things; life after cricket is longer than a cricket career, and I got to work for my kids.”

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Interesting comments about playing aggressive cricket and scoring quickly from a guy with a strike rate in the low 60's, in saying this I always found Chamu to be a better player when he went a bit harder at the bowlers.

Really odd circumstances heading into this series for Chamu, been out of the side for a long time, out of form even longer. He's even been dropped from the Eagles side in recent times, but now he's coming into an ODI series against a good side like Bangladesh and he's going to come out playing shots??

The other factor is he's a terrible player of spin, no doubt Bangladesh will open with spin against him.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement