New Zimbabwe ODI allrounders?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimbo

New Zimbabwe ODI allrounders?

Post by jimbo »

Sides all around the world have a bowler batsman usually coming in at 7 then bowling a variety of overs, An allrounder brings balance to the side. Chigumbura hasnt been fufiling that role for a while. But who would be brought in as an allrounder to replace him. Is anyone Knocking on the door domestically who could fuffil that role and bring balance to the side scoring a quick 50 and taking a few wickets?. maruma/ shingarai?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: New Zimbabwe ODI allrounders?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Ideally Chigumbura would rediscover some form because he plays that role best. At his best, he's the player most important to the structure of the team.

But to answer your question, I think Graeme Cremer. The raw batting talent is there, and as long as it didn't affect his bowling then maybe the batting coaches should be spending time with him to take his game to the next level.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I would think Utseya is the logical choice for the all round role. He has shown many times he has talent with the bat.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

jimbo wrote:Sides all around the world have a bowler batsman usually coming in at 7 then bowling a variety of overs, An allrounder brings balance to the side. Chigumbura hasnt been fufiling that role for a while. But who would be brought in as an allrounder to replace him. Is anyone Knocking on the door domestically who could fuffil that role and bring balance to the side scoring a quick 50 and taking a few wickets?. maruma/ shingarai?
One man is crying out for inclusion.

The legend.

Matsi.

:D
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Utseya and Cremer!
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

aydee

Post by aydee »

I know the hype around him died off pretty sharpish, but I reckon Meth is a potential Zim allrounder. Probably only ever a good number 8 at test level, his swing bowling is leading the way for the Tuskers in the Logan Cup. He has consistently outbowled the likes of Mpofu, Mupariwa and Ncube in FC cricket this year, and has batted as high as 5 for the Tuskers.

clikcspeed
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by clikcspeed »

bayhaus wrote:Utseya and Cremer!
Yep. These guys have been very crucial of late, Usteya since SA last year.

Lostart
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Lostart »

I still reckon Ryan Butterworth deserved a shot in the side. Down the order his hitting would be useful, no disrespect the the rest of the tail but Elton is the only other guy who can regularly clear the ropes and he hasn't fired apart from one warmup game.. Lamb Utseya and Cremer are great a accumulating but no real big hitters.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

aydee wrote:I know the hype around him died off pretty sharpish, but I reckon Meth is a potential Zim allrounder. Probably only ever a good number 8 at test level, his swing bowling is leading the way for the Tuskers in the Logan Cup. He has consistently outbowled the likes of Mpofu, Mupariwa and Ncube in FC cricket this year, and has batted as high as 5 for the Tuskers.
It would be great if he was the answer but he bowls too slowly for international cricket, if your bowling at 100km/h and bowl 1 bad ball an over you release the pressure you have built up and consequently put yourself under pressure. You might be able to get away with it domestically but not internationally especially if the ball isn't swinging. If Meth was a better batsmen he could play as a batting allrounder similar to a young Stephen Waugh but I don't think his batting will ever be good enough. Butterworth is another bits and piece player who isn't strong enough at either skill to warrant a spot in the Zimbabwean side. Maybe a batsmen in the 20/20s but that would be all. They remind me of Australias Ian Harvey and Englands Ronnie Irani. Jack of all trades but master of none. An allrounder isn't the be all and end all especially if your wicketkeeper bats at 3 and your numbers 7 and 8 can pitch in with the bat. We should be more excited by the form of Chatara in domestic cricket and also the recent runs made by the under 20 players Gary Chirimutu, Dean Mazdhwitza and Kaia
Why did Gavin Ewing loose interest from the selectors?

americanzimfan

Post by americanzimfan »

Pardon me if this has been addresseed, but isn't Sean Williams an allrounder?