Predict the T20 & Test Squads Vs Pak

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Predict the T20 & Test Squads Vs Pak

Post by secretzimbo »

Wow thats pretty good!

I think Jongwe and Mufudza are quite left-field selections and I would have liked to see Myers and Musakanda in the squad instead.

But fuck me - have they really dropped Chibhabha?!?!?! Can't quite believe my eyes. Absolutely delighted that they have. Makoni and Hammy have actually grown some balls?!?!

Overall a pretty good squad. Not perfect but much better than expected. I don't expect us to win any T20 games against Pakistan tbh but thats okay. This series is about development really. Hope we see several players step up and put in some good performances.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

Just reward for 'Bones' Mufudza, maybe the most consistent limited overs spinner on the domestic scene these last few years. But I would have liked to see Chisoro instead of Wellington in there.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Good squad, Selectors doing a better job of late. I would have liked to see Chisoro ahead of Wellington though and Dion Myers could have been in the mix but I guess Myers can be inline for longer formats. Good to see Evans on stand by.

Myers, Madhevere, Shumba and this new kid Marumani need to take this team forward in the future.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I feel that it still lacks a bit of punch.

It’s controversial, but in the T20s format, why not Cephas up the top!?
Is Cephas a class player? No
Is he consistent? No
Does he have improvement and youth in him? No.

But what he can do, is strike. If he comes off, zim wins. If he gets 40 of 22, he has set us up.
High risk and high reward. Low percentage option. But like Coventry, if it’s his day we win the series.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Is he consistent? No

But what he can do, is strike. If he comes off, zim wins. If he gets 40 of 22, he has set us up.
High risk and high reward. Low percentage option. But like Coventry, if it’s his day we win the series.
Because winning this series doesn't matter. Or even winning any of these games. The priority is the next T20 WC Qualifiers which are being held this time next year and the future beyond that too. Cephas will be 37! Also he hasn't really performed when given Zim chances before has he?

We are utterly crap at this format and we really need to start again, try a new approach and put the youngsters in and try to build the for the future. I'm fine with getting beat in this series as long as players like Marumani and Wes get chances and learn a heap of stuff they can use in the future for this team. I think the selectors have similar thinking and thats why Chamu, Cephas and Chari weren't picked. There's still a bit of dead wood in the squad but at least they are clearing some of it!

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:33 pm
This is almost a flawless selection, well done to the selectors!

Only question mark for me is Chivanga - has he done enough? But not many others put their hand up anyway. So, Chatara is not fully ready as well by the looks of it.

Chisoros could be the other talking point. Wellington is usually very accurate, so I don't mind him. But Chisoro is not even on stand by while Ndlovu is, which is quite strange.

But overall, I think leaving out Chibhabha, picking Marumani, leaving Mavuta and Mutumbami out on form are all moves we probably wanted but did not expect ZC to take. So, this is a welcome team selection!
+1

Feeling like this post could have been made a couple of weeks ago on the first. :o

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Is he consistent? No

Problem is he has never come off for Zimbabwe in his past appearances. Selectors now have made it clear they are selecting teams based on recent performances over anything else and he hasn't done enough.

Selectors should get credit, this is as good squad as they could pick imo.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Super surprised with the Chamu omission, but very happy with it. Hopefully the others can show that they are better off without him.

I'm surprised with Wellington over Ainsley. Wellington only took 1 wicket all tournament. Ainsley also had a better economy rate. If i were him, I'd feel a little jiffed.

I think others have shown that they too can clear the rope, so this idea that we need a big hitter like Cephas is not exactly holding weight for me. He has power, yes, but he does not have the consistency nor the technique to be as good as suggests.

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

Want to see Jongwe bat in top 4 and bowl with new bowl. Last time he played showed glimses of allround skills until disciplinary issues ruined his good 6 years

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Worried about the Myers omission. He’s due to go to university I think. We could lose him for a few years like Murray at this rate :(