Countdown to Test cricket: Who should bat at 3 (tie breaker)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Who should bat at three?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Craig Ervine
18%
Hamilton Masakadza
24%
Vusi Sibanda
18%
Sean Williams
41%

Total votes: 17

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Countdown to Test cricket: Who should bat at 3 (tie breaker)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Once we decide on "the people's choice" for number three, I'll create a topic for the openers and eventually the rest of the team. But first of all we need to find a clear winner due to the other poll resulting in a four way tie. As there were votes for other players besides the four listed above in the other topic, hopefully we will get a result from this poll.

The poll is open for 7 days :)

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Countdown to Test cricket: Who should bat at 3 (tie brea

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

If fully fit Sean Williams, no doubt about it. Hammie and Brendan should open. Tatenda in at 4, Craig at 5.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

hhm
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by hhm »

I'll personally still stick to Hammie at 3. The fact that he clearly mentioned in his recent interview that he's equally comfortable opening or coming at first drop shows that he wouldn't mind that spot. And I think as captain of the Mountaineers he has a choice of slotting in where he chooses but since he's mostly been coming in at 3, and at times 4, that gives the indication that he prefers having someone else see off the new ball (in domestic cricket - what more international). I won't really mind Williams at 3, but for me that means either Taylor or Hammie comes in lower than 3 because we need Duffin to be the other opener. He's a left hander, plus the most experienced and most 'stable' of our LH options.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I think the composition of the side should go a little like this for the tests

1.taylor
2.Duffin
3.Masacadza
4. ervine
5. Sibanda
6. Taibu
7. Meth
8. s Masacadza
9 Cremer
10 Price
11 Chatara

I think thats a pretty good side. Mpofu hasnt really done much in the four day matches lately and doesnt merit inclusion. Meth while having a atrocious one day record batting has quite a good record in the 4 day matches especially with the ball. I havent included chigumbura as he isnt really suited for the 4 day game especially since his bowling has suffered so much.
Chatara and Masacadza to be the new ball bowlers,

Conant

Post by Conant »

Hammy at three. Sean Williams too soft to bat at three. Lets shelter our little jewel and bat him, maybe four. Hopefully he can last two innings :D

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

I don't see the merit of Vusi Sibanda coming any lower than three, so he's my vote again.

Zimfanatic69
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Zimfanatic69 »

Boundary wrote:I don't see the merit of Vusi Sibanda coming any lower than three, so he's my vote again.

Sibanda is not worth a place in the side.

At least Matsi is a good captain, even if he is probably not in the top 11 players in Zim.
A talented batsman but a modest, hardworking character, Stuart Matsikenyeri is the third of three school friends from Churchill Boys High School, Harare to represent Zimbabwe in international cricket. - Cricinfo.

cock
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by cock »

I would stick with Masakadza at three as he is our most experience player. I think a injection of new blood is neccessary to move our cricket forward. Meth is proving himself as a swing bowler but as he is only bowling about 120 km/h I think we need two faster bowlers and I would settle on Chitara and Mpofu. To open the batting with Taylor I would go with the brightest up and coming talent S. Marillier. Team would be as follows
1.Taylor
2.Marillier
3.Masakadza
4.Ervine
5.Taibu
6.Waller
7.Meth
8.Cremer
9.Price (Capt.)
10.Chitara
11. Mpofu

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Zimfanatic69 wrote:
Boundary wrote:I don't see the merit of Vusi Sibanda coming any lower than three, so he's my vote again.

Sibanda is not worth a place in the side.

At least Matsi is a good captain, even if he is probably not in the top 11 players in Zim.
Sibanda = best technique in the country...

Williams has to bat at 3. He's got a solid technique, and he didn't do too badly during the world cup did he...?
He scored 30 odd against Canada and he scored a very impressive 30 against Australia..
Duffin to open with Taylor...

cock
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by cock »

[/quote]Williams has to bat at 3. He's got a solid technique, and he didn't do too badly during the world cup did he...?
He scored 30 odd against Canada and he scored a very impressive 30 against Australia..
Duffin to open with Taylor...[/quote]

Williams might have a good technique but has the heart the size of an ant. It is difficult enough for him to play three days with out being injured let alone 3 tests. His worst injury is his head