Countdown to Test cricket: Who should open the batting?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!

Who should open the batting? (select 2 players)

Poll ended at Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:31 am

Chibhabha
No votes
Coventry
No votes
Duffin
22%
Ewing
No votes
H Masakadza
22%
Mawoyo
6%
Sibanda
8%
Taibu
4%
Taylor
37%

Total votes: 49

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Countdown to Test cricket: Who should open the batting?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

The number three poll tiebreaker poll has ended with Sean Williams the clear winner.

In this poll, the idea is to vote for the two players who you think should open the batting. After seven days (assuming no more ties!) the two batsmen with the most number of votes will be the winners and the top order as chosen by the forum will have taken shape.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Countdown to Test cricket: Who should open the batting?

Post by sloandog »

Sibanda has to open

BaijuSpeaks

Post by BaijuSpeaks »

sloandog wrote:Sibanda has to open
Zimbabwe cannot afford both Sibanda and Duffin in the squad :D .

As we have already tried and tested Sibanda, lets give a chance to Duffin. Duffin has scored a 50 against India in his debut test. And, also Sibanda is known to all the bowlers especially from Bangladesh. So, Duffin will be a surprise package.
If he fails to impress, Sibanda should get the opportunity.

So, I vote for Taylor and Duffin as openers.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Bullshit only mods can make polls.

I vote Taylor and mcduff
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

I am not sure about "flat track bully" Taylor opening. What about the matches where there's life in the pitch? My vote goes to Duffin and Masakadza

eugene

Post by eugene »

If Sibanda opens we will need three openers as he gets out so quickly that the number 3 will virtually become an opener - much like Taibu was in the World Cup because Coventry failed so miserably.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

hhm

Post by hhm »

brmtaylor.com, even though it's a bit more complicated, I would much rather you had put in combinations for us to choose from e.g Taylor-Hamilton; Taylor-Duffin; Vusi-Hamilton. At least guys are up in arms about Vusi opening which is good to see :D. Am I wrong to be alarmed at why Chibhabha, Mawayo & Coventry are in this list!%#&? :? Interestingly you left out Craig, and I agree, but are you trying to tell us something (I suspect he's your 4/5).....

Anyway, my vote went to Taylor&Duffin. I haven't heard anything about Jarvis, and seeing that Ballance is non-committal, this remains my Test Squad selection: 1Taylor, 2Duffin, 3Hamilton, 4Williams, 5Sibanda, 6Craig, 7Ewing, 8Taibu-wk(c), 9Meth, 10Price, 11Mpofu. Replacements: 12Waller, 13Shingi, 14Mutizwa, 15Cremer. Since they are giving him the initiative, I doubt Chigumbura will heed Campbell & Grant's advice so I fear Meth may miss out - reasons: Mpofu has improved, plus there's too much time&effort invested in him for them to drop him; and civil war will break out if two Matabele seamers are selected ahead of the guys up north, so one of either Shingi or Chatara will be there, in which case I see Heath going for Shingi.
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I had thought about about putting in combinations, but there would have been so many permutations it might have taken up half a page :)

The only reason I left out Craig Ervine is because I didn't think anyone would consider him as an opener. Similarly, that's why I didn't include Chigumbura, Lamb or Chris Mpofu in this poll! Chibhabha and Coventry have at least opened the batting in ODIs in the past 12 months. Mawoyo if I'm not mistaken opened against New Zealand A and of course for his franchise, as does Ewing who has one of the highest First Class averages in Zimbabwe.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Conant wrote:I am not sure about "flat track bully" Taylor opening. What about the matches where there's life in the pitch? My vote goes to Duffin and Masakadza
I think somebody pointed it out before as well that given a chance Hamilton prefers 1 down. He is also not opening for his franchise at times so his mental make up is vital.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

hhm

Post by hhm »

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) wrote:
Conant wrote:I am not sure about "flat track bully" Taylor opening. What about the matches where there's life in the pitch? My vote goes to Duffin and Masakadza
I think somebody pointed it out before as well that given a chance Hamilton prefers 1 down. He is also not opening for his franchise at times so his mental make up is vital.
I think I'm the one who mentioned that Dr_Situ viewtopic.php?p=25449#p25449. Maybe someone can help me understand why Conant says Taylor is a "flat track bully". I can't seem to reconcile that description with my opinion of him. Depending on which combinations one considers relevant, the permutations would certainly have been too much brmtaylor.com, so that's understandable. "Similarly, that's why I didn't include.... Lamb or Chris Mpofu in this poll!" :lol:. Ewing has opened in the past and for the Tuskers of late so it wouldn't be a disaster if he opened, but I think he's ok in the middle-to-lower order. As captain of the Tuskers he can get away with that kind of audacity. Mawoyo is not of international standard yet, and I would put his selection to the WC ODI squad down to desperation and an error of judgement on the part of Alistair&Co or perhaps their desire to ensure at all costs that Hamilton didn't play in the WC!

On a separate note, I haven't been on this forum all that long, but hearing these kind of names thrown around like Mawayo, Regis and Matsi(not that bad a test player by the way), I get the feeling that Forster Mutizwa is either highly underrated or not rated at all. Anyway...
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis