Zimbabwe coaches

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Zimbabwe coaches

Post by eugene »

How long do you think we should give Alan Butcher to prove himself as a coach? Perhaps more importantly, how long do we give Heath Streak and Grant Flower to prove themselves as bowling and batting coaches respectively? Do Streak and Flower have jobs-for-life due to their legend status as Zimbabwean players? I would hope they are put under the same scrutiny as any other coach would be. So far I have seen little-to-no evidence of any improvement in the team - but then none of the coaches have been in place long. What are your thoughts?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe coaches

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:How long do you think we should give Alan Butcher to prove himself as a coach? Perhaps more importantly, how long do we give Heath Streak and Grant Flower to prove themselves as bowling and batting coaches respectively? Do Streak and Flower have jobs-for-life due to their legend status as Zimbabwean players? I would hope they are put under the same scrutiny as any other coach would be. So far I have seen little-to-no evidence of any improvement in the team - but then none of the coaches have been in place long. What are your thoughts?
If Zimbabwe are to improve, they need the best coaches in the specialized positions, is there anybody better for Zimbabwean inspiration than Flower or Streak...
They stay!

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

Zimbabweans have always proved to be very good coaches, look at A Flower, Fletcher, Houghton, they also know the challenges these younsters face.

Boundary

Post by Boundary »

Mpofu's rapid improvement alone proves Streaky is worth. But top of that he's got a lot of young bowlers to nurture who are already coming on stream. I'm a little worried about Flower but he's been there the shortest, so give him time. Regarding Butcher I think we should stick with him because right now we need a coach to impart technique and temperament onto our team rather than a manager. They all stay, I say.

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

eugene wrote:jobs-for-life due to their legend status as Zimbabwean players?
I Think that is the important line here and what Eugene is asking? I certainly dont want the jobs for life because we "owe them". They must feel like players who are fighting for their place.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

eugene

Post by eugene »

I think the point I am most interested in is how do we evaluate Streak and Flower due to our sentimentality where they are concerned. I feel they should be evaluated like any other coach would be. Streak and Flower may be Zimbabwean heroes and inspirational figures but that doesn't automatically make them the best coaches for the job - coaching is a very different skill to playing.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes