Life after cricket in Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Life after cricket in Zimbabwe

Post by CholeZimbo »

Thought this could run concurrently.

Seeing a player like BT retire, having played since 18 at the highest level and probably never going to university etc, like most players worldwide, outside cricket, what is available to these guys? Generational wealth I would assume for some of them? Anyone with decent insight on what a guy like BT could do in Zim after hanging his boots?

Personally I'd wish he could take the next 3-4 years to rest, spend time with family whilst maybe getting his coaching badges. I am not too sure about him as a head coach, but definitely a batting coach under a seasoned coach a few years from now.

TapsC2

Re: Life after cricket in Zimbabwe

Post by TapsC2 »

I hope ZC actually gives him some sort of position. We can't lose that kind of talent completely

Zimbabwe is a tough one. The economy isn't doing too good. This is why you find certain players not retiring. ZC is one of the best organisations to work for in Zim because of their funding. Only NGOs guarantee you that kind of money.

The likes of BT I'm sure will venture into some kind of business or farming. Yes there are lots of white people currently farming or involved in the agricultural sector. He made lots of money in his career so I'm sure he has a solid plan.

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

That is the thing. Cricket has been his life, and choosing to stick it out after 2004 was a great sign of patriotism.

Also, would we rather have BT in coaching or Admin?

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 am
I hope ZC actually gives him some sort of position. We can't lose that kind of talent completely

Zimbabwe is a tough one. The economy isn't doing too good. This is why you find certain players not retiring. ZC is one of the best organisations to work for in Zim because of their funding. Only NGOs guarantee you that kind of money.

The likes of BT I'm sure will venture into some kind of business or farming. Yes there are lots of white people currently farming or involved in the agricultural sector. He made lots of money in his career so I'm sure he has a solid plan.
More the legends will move away from cricket more chance of the game struggle for existance in Zim

With Masakadza, Jarvis, Taylor gone, Zim Cricket are now 30% of Kenya

CholeZimbo

Post by CholeZimbo »

BT says before the game he will definitely be back, and coaching might be something he will do

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:19 am
That is the thing. Cricket has been his life, and choosing to stick it out after 2004 was a great sign of patriotism.

Also, would we rather have BT in coaching or Admin?
Definitely coaching. I don’ t think he’s the smartest or most studious guy around so probably not admin (and admin is a closed shop anyway - he’s the wrong colour).

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:28 am
TapsC2 wrote:

More the legends will move away from cricket more chance of the game struggle for existance in Zim

Masakadza works for ZC. Jarvis works for ZC. Taylor indicated he wants to stay involved.

But yeah gr8 post m8. Kenya here we cum lul

Rajkumar Sharma
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Rajkumar Sharma »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:59 pm
Rajkumar Sharma wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:28 am
TapsC2 wrote:

Masakadza works for ZC. Jarvis works for ZC. Taylor indicated he wants to stay involved.

But yeah gr8 post m8. Kenya here we cum lul
With all of them working, full strength Zim loosing series against Ireland