Elton VS Crystal

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Elton VS Crystal

Post by takleg »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting tired of Elton's poor performances with the bat. Let's face it, the guy is nowhere near the Chigumbura we had before the captaincy and he is turning out to be a huge liability. You might argue that his performances with the ball have improved, but there is someone else on the sidelines who is so much better with the ball, Keegan Meth. With Chigumbura struggling with the bat, there is no reason why he shouldn't be dropped for Meth who is way better with the ball. Grant and co. can then try to work on Prosper's batting so that a better bowler, Meth, can play. What do you guys think?ry to work on Prosper's batting so that a better bowler, Meth, can play. What do you guys think?
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Elton VS Crystal

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Yep,
He, Prosper or dirty Joe.

Happy to give that guy 2x more innings to prove himself but that's it.

We have too many good bowlers missing out because Elton doesn't want to turn up.

Just sad as Elton is great when he's great but he's rarely great ATM.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Flower power
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Flower power »

I would put in Meth , just to show Elton that he is indispensable . Come on Alister Campbell , show the guys that you can shake things up a bit if they are not performing consistently . Liabilities will result in more losses for us .

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

It's time to face the truth. The Taibu/Ervine/Chigumbura trio is the reason for our most recent collapses. I've already admitted in the match thread that perhaps we can't drop Taibu, not now. Ervine is class so we can either persevere with him or give him a small breather, then bring him back for the Pak series. Chigumbura is more problematic because his slump is a longrunning thing and arguably he's got two ready replacements on hand. After today, I don't like two spinners (at least in Harare, against Bangladesh), so that means Meth gets in for Utseya. In that case, this saves Chigs at least for two more games. Otherwise his bowling is saving him for now and I don't have a problem with that since he's an allrounder, two crutches to fall on.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Days and threads Like this I miss Sean ervine....problem would be solved

*kisses picture of Sean. Love you xo

EDIT: love won't last too long because tomorrow I'll wake up and remember him leaving us

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Ok as someone who's smart, im going to analyse this scientifically without going to stats. As they will mislead at the moment I feel.

Firstly, I assume most will agree that:
Elton is a batting all rounder
Meth is a bowling all rounder.

I would also assume:
Meth is a better bowler than chigger
Meth is not as good a batsman as chigger.

If you agree so far, read on, if not- then you already have a strong opinion in your mind in who should be number 7 so the rest is not applicable to you.

Now the question becomes harder.

Is Meth a better bowler than chugs is a batsman?

In my opinion, as of 2011, that's a yes. Ask me 12 months ago I would have said no then called you an idiot for thinking otherwise.

But that's then and this is now.

Now it gets complicated even more.

Now that "we" have established that Meth is a better ball than chug is a bat we have to factor in the greater holistic composition of the Zimbabwe squad.

In my belief- we have the best bowling attack we have ever had or close to it. When dirty Joe comes back (and a lesser extent rainsford) there is going to be serious conpetition for bowling spots. At least 4 people will miss out who would have been first chosen 3 years ago.

However that can not be said of our batting. We have Taylor, Hamilton and vusi doing good things but it feels like anyone who rocks up to the Harare spurts ground and asks to play will be as good as the middle order we have now.
We have among the weakest batting lineup in zim history but among the best bowling.

In other words, we need batting prowess, and this is what Elton will bring over Meth. Weakening our batting further will make the problem worse.

Can we afford to have the superior bowling all rounder in the team at the expense if the batting all rounder at a time wherein we need all the batting we can get? Even if theres a form issue? We have no genuine all rounders that are bat leaning. Lamb is close .... But no.

Maybe Nathan Waller in 2 yes time but not now.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Nathan Waller ? :?

sillymid
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by sillymid »

I think we need a good batsman to replace Chigs if he is to be dropped (which i dont agree with). Chibhabha will be a better replacement for Chigs. Meth should come in for Utseya not Chigs because they both bowl better than they bat.

lloydwinini
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by lloydwinini »

gentlemen, lets be honest. every player loses form once in a while & elton hasnt had his in quite a while. But however he is still our best allrounder who recently did the job 4 us against the ausies. As much as i like 4 meth 2 b in the team im not sure he's as gud as chigs. Who on a gud day can bat & ball like he z posesd. sure he z not getn the 50's but he does brng bac hope wen all z lost. do u thnk meth cud do that. every team nids 2 drag its falng star in the hop of reigmtng t like wat sa dd wit duminy

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Ok as someone who's smart, im going to analyse this scientifically without going to stats. As they will mislead at the moment I feel.

Firstly, I assume most will agree that:
Elton is a batting all rounder
Meth is a bowling all rounder.

I would also assume:
Meth is a better bowler than chigger
Meth is not as good a batsman as chigger.

If you agree so far, read on, if not- then you already have a strong opinion in your mind in who should be number 7 so the rest is not applicable to you.

Now the question becomes harder.

Is Meth a better bowler than chugs is a batsman?

In my opinion, as of 2011, that's a yes. Ask me 12 months ago I would have said no then called you an idiot for thinking otherwise.

But that's then and this is now.

Now it gets complicated even more.

Now that "we" have established that Meth is a better ball than chug is a bat we have to factor in the greater holistic composition of the Zimbabwe squad.

In my belief- we have the best bowling attack we have ever had or close to it. When dirty Joe comes back (and a lesser extent rainsford) there is going to be serious conpetition for bowling spots. At least 4 people will miss out who would have been first chosen 3 years ago.

However that can not be said of our batting. We have Taylor, Hamilton and vusi doing good things but it feels like anyone who rocks up to the Harare spurts ground and asks to play will be as good as the middle order we have now.
We have among the weakest batting lineup in zim history but among the best bowling.

In other words, we need batting prowess, and this is what Elton will bring over Meth. Weakening our batting further will make the problem worse.

Can we afford to have the superior bowling all rounder in the team at the expense if the batting all rounder at a time wherein we need all the batting we can get? Even if theres a form issue? We have no genuine all rounders that are bat leaning. Lamb is close .... But no.

Maybe Nathan Waller in 2 yes time but not now.
Very insightful blog entry you have there hhm....oops I mean Zimdoggy.

Anyway I think Meth needs to get a shot somewhere, he is performing too well to be left out of the team for every match.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes