Has chigs regressed as a batsman?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Maweni
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Has chigs regressed as a batsman?

Post by Maweni »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Chigumbura is perhaps the most over-rated player on ZCF. I'm not sure how many match-winning knocks he's played against sides ranked higher than Kenya/Ireland, but his bowling is not penetrative enough to gamble on his batting. At the moment, and he might be in a bad patch of 18 months duration, he will get out in single digits half the time, and scratch his way to 20 or 30 odd at a slow strike rate another 40% of the time. That leaves one innings out of ten in which he might do a Shahid Afridi impersonation...and thats just not good enough.

Its better to give that spot to Waller or Mutizwa or Lamb.
I know we've had our differences (mainly you supporting Bangladesh), but after writing that, I love you like a brother.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Maweni wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:Chigumbura is perhaps the most over-rated player on ZCF. I'm not sure how many match-winning knocks he's played against sides ranked higher than Kenya/Ireland, but his bowling is not penetrative enough to gamble on his batting. At the moment, and he might be in a bad patch of 18 months duration, he will get out in single digits half the time, and scratch his way to 20 or 30 odd at a slow strike rate another 40% of the time. That leaves one innings out of ten in which he might do a Shahid Afridi impersonation...and thats just not good enough.

I know we've had our differences (mainly you supporting Bangladesh), but after writing that, I love you like a brother.
I dunno why, but I join Eugene in being big on Craig Ervine. What I saw of him (and Chakabva) during your last tour to BD was impressive. At that time, they seemed the only guys with teh proper technique to cope at int'l level. Although Taylor looked out of hsi depth then, he is clearly the best and most important batsman on the team. Well, I think Sibanda may be better than him. I always liked Sibanda, but never saw him till the Bangladesh series. He's pure class...just needs to learn to play the short ball.

So Taylor, Sibanda, Ervine are a good core to build around. Hammy, is good too, although I'm neutral about the guy. Don't like Taibu, although he's ok when not attempting reverse sweeps every other ball. But when he's out of form, he looks terrible. Chigs is garbage, IMHO. I also think Mutizwa and Chakabva should get more opportunities.

All in all I think ZIM have a pretty good future to look forward to. Those young pacers of yours are recently outstanding! While I don't expect you gyus to beat Pakistan, I'd be very disappointed if you just hand them a pair of trophies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

tailender

Post by tailender »

I wonder if any of you Craig fans watched the Zim New Zealand match at the world cup. Craigs limitations were exposed in that match. They set an offside field and struggled to score. Has he worked on that yet cause New Zealand are coming soon
Success is a journey, not a destination

andybligz93

Post by andybligz93 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Maweni wrote:

I dunno why, but I join Eugene in being big on Craig Ervine. What I saw of him (and Chakabva) during your last tour to BD was impressive. At that time, they seemed the only guys with teh proper technique to cope at int'l level. Although Taylor looked out of hsi depth then, he is clearly the best and most important batsman on the team. Well, I think Sibanda may be better than him. I always liked Sibanda, but never saw him till the Bangladesh series. He's pure class...just needs to learn to play the short ball.

So Taylor, Sibanda, Ervine are a good core to build around. Hammy, is good too, although I'm neutral about the guy. Don't like Taibu, although he's ok when not attempting reverse sweeps every other ball. But when he's out of form, he looks terrible. Chigs is garbage, IMHO. I also think Mutizwa and Chakabva should get more opportunities.

All in all I think ZIM have a pretty good future to look forward to. Those young pacers of yours are recently outstanding! While I don't expect you gyus to beat Pakistan, I'd be very disappointed if you just hand them a pair of trophies.
great points here mate , sibanda has adapated and improved out of site but we will see against the good sides if he really is that good , like taylor who has made plenty of runs against the top nations. i disagree with you on mutizwa yes he has done a lot domestically but thats where i think he belongs maybe in the test arena if someone like craig or masakadza fail continously but i still have waller and williams ahead of him or even chibabha. dont underate taibu either he is probaly our 2nd most important player he has class, experience , calm head , heart and all the experience as well as a brilliant wicket keeper (mark healy once said him and gilchrist are the 2 best keepers in the world ) taibu makes runs when it matters and thats what the good players do.the chigumbura argument will continue until someone clearly out plays him and it could be the 30 yr old gregory lamb , if he puts in a decent performance its hard to see chigz getting back in . we shall seee soon

andybligz93

Post by andybligz93 »

* Ian healy , how did i muddle those names up !!

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Chigumbura is perhaps the most over-rated player on ZCF. I'm not sure how many match-winning knocks he's played against sides ranked higher than Kenya/Ireland, but his bowling is not penetrative enough to gamble on his batting.
You've made great points Kriterion but I wanted to highlight this crucial one. Chigs is in the team because he bowls a bit and bats a bit. He doesn't do both well enough but if in a Test we need 4 seamers, then Chiggs slots in at 7 to bat as well. Meth, Chatara, Rainsford, Masakadza Jr and Ncube are all better bowlers and Waller, Raza, Mutizwa, Williams and maybe Lamb are all more consistent batsmen. But Chiggs gets in, I suspect, for team balance. One guy for the price of two.

andybligz93

Post by andybligz93 »

the quality all rounder spot is the one thing zim is missing terribly ! we pick chigumbura on hope and simply caus who else is there ? meth is a better bowler but chigs batting is knotch higher im 100percent sure of that but the guy keeps not doing enough and alistair rates him to highly to drop him . we need someone like a sean ervine who can make at least a 30 plus score and bowl 10 to 15 overs a day bowling tight and getting a wicket or two atm chigz cant do that ( im not saying get sean ervine back) im simply saying thats the sort of player we are missing. the one thing i give credit to chigz is his bowling to left handers is class, his batting well... :? we just need to try pluck someone with roar talent with bat and ball in junior ranks and just develope that person , either that or chigumbura finds career best form. personalyy i say bring back bligz :D surely sloandog is due a game soon !

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

Boundary wrote:
Kriterion_BD wrote:Chigumbura is perhaps the most over-rated player on ZCF. I'm not sure how many match-winning knocks he's played against sides ranked higher than Kenya/Ireland, but his bowling is not penetrative enough to gamble on his batting.
You've made great points Kriterion but I wanted to highlight this crucial one. Chigs is in the team because he bowls a bit and bats a bit. He doesn't do both well enough but if in a Test we need 4 seamers, then Chiggs slots in at 7 to bat as well. Meth, Chatara, Rainsford, Masakadza Jr and Ncube are all better bowlers and Waller, Raza, Mutizwa, Williams and maybe Lamb are all more consistent batsmen. But Chiggs gets in, I suspect, for team balance. One guy for the price of two.
Spot on. Its a balance thing, rather than Chigs being better than all that have been touted, be it with the bat or ball...the thing is as a combination of these he is better, e.g. for me the closest are Meth, Chibabba, and Lamb (on slower surfaces), the point is they are better than him in one department and not necessarily the other, i.e. if you were to include Meth you'd have a far better bowler, but not necessarily a batter batsman (granted on current form this may not be necessarily be true of Chigs!), if you went Chibaba (based on current form) you'd have a better batter but wouldn't have the same from a bowling viewpoint. I think the position is up for grabs, and this can only be good for Zim cricket, and we can actually afford to play horses for courses depending on the pitch conditions, the bowling challengers just need to work on their batting, and the batting challengers on their bowling and if Chigs continues to fail then there is every reason to change without risk. Having said that all that have downplayed Elton's improvement with the ball are blind, but totally agreed his batting does need work and he need to get his confidence back, we all know what he can do when on song. Does he do it on the International stage or at FC? As I am famous for advocating in the case of Craig, I always say workout your issues at FC level...but can we find a suitable replacement without losing too much? That is the challenge, but I'm sure he'll be back, at 26, he has plenty of cricket ahead of him, I wouldn't be writing his obituary yet.
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

great points here mate , sibanda has adapated and improved out of site but we will see against the good sides if he really is that good , like taylor who has made plenty of runs against the top nations. i disagree with you on mutizwa yes he has done a lot domestically but thats where i think he belongs maybe in the test arena if someone like craig or masakadza fail continously but i still have waller and williams ahead of him or even chibabha. dont underate taibu either he is probaly our 2nd most important player he has class, experience , calm head , heart and all the experience as well as a brilliant wicket keeper (mark healy once said him and gilchrist are the 2 best keepers in the world ) taibu makes runs when it matters and thats what the good players do.the chigumbura argument will continue until someone clearly out plays him and it could be the 30 yr old gregory lamb , if he puts in a decent performance its hard to see chigz getting back in . we shall seee soon
lol, i guess that makes tendulkar one of the worst players of all time then...hahaha.

but i agree with what someone said about Chigs getting in on balance since he's considered an all-rounder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)