2nd ODI ZIMBABWE VS SRILANKA

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: 2nd ODI ZIMBABWE VS SRILANKA

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, Burl is definitely underperforming and in the immediate term could be replaced by Shumba but with the retirement of the quality players on the horizon we have to keep him in the loop. There's very little else in his age bracket. He can clear the ropes as well as anyone in the country.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Burl-Kaitano might be the opening pair of the future. I got a feeling Regis is going to stick around a little bit longer than Ervine,Williams and Raza. He will have to be stuck in the middle order to give us some stability. If Marumani doesn't develop then Burl might be the best option to open.

What I find interesting is that despite Burl being 6 years younger, Wes has only played 1 test, 9 ODIs and 13 T20s less than Burl. This shows how little cricket Burl has played. He might actually just still be at the development stage just like the 2 kids. So we can't rule him out just yet.

The problem is you get somebody like Kaitano coming in and looking much more comfortable out there than Burl in the longer and shorter formats. Maybe because he debuted when he was older. So that's also put a lot of pressure on Burl.

The craziest stat I picked up is that Wes has actually scored more ODI runs than Burl already. That is really concerning. I guess time will tell

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Been on the road all day.

Valuable 10 points for Zimbabwe. Keeps them in the hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Great win guys, we were pretty much ahead for most of the game which felt good. Chatara has now cleared Mpofu to become the 6th highest wicket taker across formats for Zim with 157. Only behind Streak and the 4 spinners. Deserves his 100th ODI wicket when he gets it. Not much gas left in the tank but looks like he used his brains well. All 4 seniors getting runs was satisfying too.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Yeah it was a total team effort. Winning on the road in Asia, and setting up a 300+ total is not an easy feat. Sri Lanka are a capable side.

All to play for in the next game and ZIM can shoot for a very important series win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Yeah, a real team effort if ever there was one. The senior 4 contributing with the bat, Chatara and Blessing shining with the ball, Brilliant spells of tight bowling by Ngarava and Wellington, Kaitano contributing with another stable opening foundation with Regis. This means 9 out of 11 were significant contributors. Wes and Burl did not do much, but even then Wes snared that wicket and Burl hit a couple of boundaries that helped us cross the psychological barrier of 300. Clearly these two are the ones in the danger zone. I would be happy to see Shumba replace either of them.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

If we can play the same XI after a defeat then we can at least make 1 important change to win the series. Shumba in for either Burl/Wes. Lots of cricket coming up. Is it Ireland touring next?

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:00 am
The senior 4 contributing with the bat
Who would have thought two years ago that Regis would become a rightful member of the Big Four?

Someone mentioned that Regis suffered from batting down the order early in his career. I tend to disagree. He was early on identified by the coaches as a top order bat, although results were mixed and he was shifted about a lot. In his first full series in 2010 he batted 3, 3, 6, 8; in the 2011 WC it was 7, 6, 2, 2, 2; 2012 in NZ: 3, 3, 6; 2013 saw him bat at 7, 7, 5, 2. He was also in and out of the side a lot.

My impression has been that it was Test cricket where it really made click for him; with a clearly defined role, batting down the order he was finally able to find his feet in international cricket and and get over what was probably more a psychological hurdle than a technical issue. And now we see the rewards.

Could his career have been handled better? Probably, if we had played a lot more Test cricket (and more domestic cricket of a higher standard). Remember that he showed glimpses of his true potential with occasional defiant knocks in the odd Test match we played here and there. But he definitely wasn't ready for the job he was at times given in 2011/13; he needed time to mature.

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:28 am
CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:00 am
The senior 4 contributing with the bat
Who would have thought two years ago that Regis would become a rightful member of the Big Four?

Someone mentioned that Regis suffered from batting down the order early in his career. I tend to disagree. He was early on identified by the coaches as a top order bat, although results were mixed and he was shifted about a lot. In his first full series in 2010 he batted 3, 3, 6, 8; in the 2011 WC it was 7, 6, 2, 2, 2; 2012 in NZ: 3, 3, 6; 2013 saw him bat at 7, 7, 5, 2. He was also in and out of the side a lot.

My impression has been that it was Test cricket where it really made click for him; with a clearly defined role, batting down the order he was finally able to find his feet in international cricket and and get over what was probably more a psychological hurdle than a technical issue. And now we see the rewards.

Could his career have been handled better? Probably, if we had played a lot more Test cricket (and more domestic cricket of a higher standard). Remember that he showed glimpses of his true potential with occasional defiant knocks in the odd Test match we played here and there. But he definitely wasn't ready for the job he was at times given in 2011/13; he needed time to mature.
That is why Ryan Burl's role needs to be identified quickly and not waste much time. We need a coach and selectors who are dedicated like folks on this forum who understand the game and the style of these players. We can already see that coaches and Burl himself do not know what role they want to play. For me, Burl should be told to focus on batting 4/5 long term. That should be his core business. Leg spin is about being world class or please leave it.

The post senior players ODI team (a realistic one given the current situation) ideally should be coming together like this, (also I believe Reggy will still be around for about 4 years at the top level)

1) Kaitano
2) Regis (c)
3) Shumba
4) Madhevere
5) Burl
6)
7)
8) Jongwe
9) Masakadza
10) Muzarabani
11) Ngarava

Honestly the development of Shumba is critical this year. He looks like the one with the level head to play long innings alongside Kaitano. Wes is still a bit immature, not willing to play a patient game, but he will come right I am sure. An in form PJ really is a loss, because he was going to form part of the next senior batsmen.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Don't forget the welch Sauls and bawas of the world who could slot in this side in future 😊😊