Taylor Retirement Story

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Taylor Retirement Story

Post by secretzimbo »

Flakeman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:22 am
Flakeman wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 am

Oh give it a rest. I’m not assuming anything about him, I know him personally!
Oh calm down. I just said I find it so interesting how people judge. That's all.

It's not an attack of you. Rather an observation.
Pretty easy to judge someone who thinks that Zimbabwe is a better country than Rhodesia was.
Please let's not open that can of worms on this thread though....

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

When he retired and people were hoping for him to go into the administration or whatever, I remember there were a few people saying he's actually not a smart man - a bit thick - and that he wouldn't be a natural administrator or leader.

Well here we go.

I don't believe Brendan is a bad person or intended to do anything bad or wrong at all. He's just a bit dumb isn't he. This whole thing smacks of stupidity, not criminality.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Tinah09 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:20 am
This is a mess, first Heath now Brendan!! As much as they deserve the blame for their actions, how is India, BCCI never in the discussion. There’s a decades old history of filthy rich match fixing syndicates in India, yet we never come across any stories of Indian authorities doing something about it.

Secondly, why isn’t betting (and the revenue it brings) legally incorporated into the game of cricket. Hear me out, English football had an underworld matchfixing problem..they tried to fight it, stings, raids arrests. Until they decided to formalise it. Betting companies get to be among the club’s sponsors, and get revenue regardless of outcomes. Several English Football League clubs have betting companies logos on thier jerseys. I don’t know entirely how it works, or if it’s perfect but wouldn’t this be better than expecting flawed humans to be incorruptible??
Lol India is still a massive third world country. They have bigger problems than match fixing

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Tinah09 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:39 am
I don’t get the best get the hoopla a over sniffing lines of coccaine. If the video had been released, it would have trended for a week tops. Drug use is ubiquitous among certain social circles. To me, the only way the blackmail makes sense, is if there were hookers involved
Yeah still some stuff that hasnt come out

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I'm still reeling about this.

There's no way he should be remembered for this or his legacy be this.

I'm not excusing him at all, it's really fucking stupid and he deserves his punishment.

But can we remember that he is arguably the most talented white ball player this country has ever produced? He stuck with us through thick and thin over many many many years and completely carried us for a large period of time. You will never meet a more passionate or patriotic Zimbo. That he carried on playing for us for 17 years after all the shit thrown at him from all directions at various times. What a warrior.

An absolute legend who, unfortunately, has made an off field mistake. But still an on field legend and an all time great.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

We were blaming Rajput for Brendan's retirement and bashing up ZC for not honouring his retirement by releasing a statement.

Rajput and ZC get bashed up for literally everything, whether they are responsible for it or not 😂😂

Most of the time we just do not know what is happening behind the doors so I think we should avoid assuming things as much as possible.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am
I'm still reeling about this.

There's no way he should be remembered for this or his legacy be this.

I'm not excusing him at all, it's really fucking stupid and he deserves his punishment.

But can we remember that he is arguably the most talented white ball player this country has ever produced? He stuck with us through thick and thin over many many many years and completely carried us for a large period of time. You will never meet a more passionate or patriotic Zimbo. That he carried on playing for us for 17 years after all the shit thrown at him from all directions at various times. What a warrior.

An absolute legend who, unfortunately, has made an off field mistake. But still an on field legend and an all time great.
Absolutely. I always feel sportsmen who have represented their country should be remembered for their illustrious careers and Brendan has had a magnificent one. Wish him good.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Flakeman wrote:

Pretty easy to judge someone who thinks that Zimbabwe is a better country than Rhodesia was.
Just speaking generally, depends on the angle the person is looking from. Racial segregation, yes. Economy and social welfare, no.
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:28 am
BTW who remembers when 5+ years ago when I used to talk all the time about match fixing could be a real issue in Zim and everyone thought i was an idiot
I think people would see ourselves as hard working down to earth people who know right from wrong in these instances. We also probably thought that there would no real monetary value in our matches. So perhaps Zim didn't really appeal to bookies. We've been proven wrong.

When you deprive people of a livelihood, you become an even bigger target and as we've discovered, a whole game does not need to be fixed for these bookies to make money.

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:32 am
What an miserable mess he got himself into by not reporting it.
jaybro wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:55 am
He could have easily reported it as soon as he got home and gave the money to the ICC, at that stage he would have only been Quilty of doing coke which is hardly the crime of the century.
Yes, this would have managed to nip it in the bud. He got himself into a corner by not having a clear thought process at that point. Sad. Hope he can get out of this mental rut he has gotten himself into soon through the rehabilitation.
secretzimbo wrote:I don't believe Brendan is a bad person or intended to do anything bad or wrong at all. He's just a bit dumb isn't he. This whole thing smacks of stupidity, not criminality.
Yes, he never came across as the most intellectual of guys. He also had a history of burying his problems in alcohol if I recall corectly (during his time in County cricket).

Personally, I just wish him all the best and hope he recovers.

BT is not the first and won't be last sportman who gets himself into that sort of trouble. The psychological stress that often comes with that career is difficult to appreciate by us armchair critics in our cushy office jobs.

And as always in such cases, the whole drug thing reflects badly on the organisation. It was plain to see for all of us here that something was wrong with BT ...

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:30 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:25 am
Come to think about it.. how often do cricket players do drug tests?
good question.
but it wouldnt catch them out doing coke anyway. thats why coke is the drug of choice among athletes. Doesnt have the physical side effects of alcohol and is out of the system in hours.
All the players are on coke.
Detectable on modern tests for about 2-3 days I believe.
I thought it was 12-24 hours
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*