2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: 2023-2031 FTP news, updates, etc

Post by sam_ahm »

The Africa Men's games are proper T20 internationals. Which means we will see a lot of international debutants for Zim and esp RSA.

Also gives more meaning to the Women team that has won Gold.

Lot's to play for then, and I would have liked a stronger men's team.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are a couple of players in there that don't even play regular franchise cricket, that's a worry.
Selectors do that time and again. They'll put in a couple of potential passengers, hoping others will carry them. They'll never learn.
Having said that there are some good players in the side.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:16 am
The Africa Men's games are proper T20 internationals. Which means we will see a lot of international debutants for Zim and esp RSA.

Also gives more meaning to the Women team that has won Gold.

Lot's to play for then, and I would have liked a stronger men's team.
I wouldn't call those "proper" internationals.

When Jaker Ali hit out last week vs Sri Lanka on his debut match, I was looking at his profile page and was initially shocked to see he had played 3 prior T20Is. Then I realized it was from last year's Asian Games. Officially they are going into the records and will count in his stats, but for me, that can't be considered a legit international.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

I’d call them “proper” because the ICC has decided they are. More “proper” than the ICC deciding Australia vs the rest of the world XI or whatever it was were “proper” test matches.

No matches involving Zimdesh are proper, it’s East Pakistan and has been since 1955.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I understand, but what I mean is if Namibia and/or Uganda field full strength sides and Zimbabwe end up losing to them it will really hurt, will impact Zimbabwe's ranking and will create further headlines in international cricket as these are international games.

On the other hand if Zimbabwe do manage to win then it will boost their confidence. Considering the kind of last 8-10 months Zimbabwe have had, I don't think they can afford to take any international game for granted or casually.

CalZim
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by CalZim »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:01 pm
I understand, but what I mean is if Namibia and/or Uganda field full strength sides and Zimbabwe end up losing to them it will really hurt, will impact Zimbabwe's ranking and will create further headlines in international cricket as these are international games.

On the other hand if Zimbabwe do manage to win then it will boost their confidence. Considering the kind of last 8-10 months Zimbabwe have had, I don't think they can afford to take any international game for granted or casually.
It’s not a full strength Namibia side but they are still a stronger side on paper than us, I’d rank them like this:

Uganda (squad not listed yet but I’ve heard it’s a strong one)
Namibia
South Africa
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Nigeria
Tanzania
Ghana

I know next to nothing about the SA side though other than they are all kids/low experience players. They are probably still better than the Zim lineup though even with a couple of our regulars.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Got no faith in these guys to be honest after seeing the Durham crumble. There is a huge psychological barrier with our players which just can’t be explained. This will be a pressure situation and we know what will happen. Expect a runout or 2

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The ICC made a mistake by giving everyone T20I status in my not so humble opinion. I am for expanding the game, but they should have kept T20I status for perhaps the top 30-40 sides. And or give to everyone but don’t recognize Asian Games, Africa Games, or the Olympics as T20I.

One of the consequences is that records and statistics begin to lose meaning. The highest team total in T20I cricket now belongs to Nepal…not India or Australia. That to me just doesn’t make sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:43 pm
The ICC made a mistake by giving everyone T20I status in my not so humble opinion. I am for expanding the game, but they should have kept T20I status for perhaps the top 30-40 sides.
Absolute complete and utter bullshit point of view, sorry.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:43 pm
The ICC made a mistake by giving everyone T20I status in my not so humble opinion. I am for expanding the game, but they should have kept T20I status for perhaps the top 30-40 sides. And or give to everyone but don’t recognize Asian Games, Africa Games, or the Olympics as T20I.

One of the consequences is that records and statistics begin to lose meaning. The highest team total in T20I cricket now belongs to Nepal…not India or Australia. That to me just doesn’t make sense.
100% disagree.

In my opinion one of the best things the ICC have ever done. Shake up the arrogant establishment. Hopefully we can see much more obscure nations than Nepal hold significant records.