Match thread: Zimbabwe vs Kenya (round 2)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Match thread: Zimbabwe vs Kenya (round 2)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kenya vs Ireland was also abandoned: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/tri-ken ... 25585.html

I'm guessing that thumping win over Ireland is coming in handy right about now, I'm thinking that now the final is Kenya vs Zimbabwe - unless Kenya absolutely hammered us (by 210 runs or so... ?).

I don't really know how Net Run Rate works, maybe someone else is able to provide a more definitive answer.

Actually, at second glance it seems that Ireland have more points than Zimbabwe due to the 2 points from each abandoned game, meaning, Ireland gets through regardless, and plays the winner of the Kenya vs Zimbabwe game?

How bizarre and stupid, hopefully someone can confirm or deny this, it's doing my head in :?

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Match thread: Zimbabwe vs Kenya (round 2)

Post by Train Driver »

The possible outcome of tomorrows match is quite simple, if one side wins then it will be the winner v Ireland on saturday.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/tri-keny ... ointstable

If tomorrows game is also abandoned, then it will be a Kenya v Zimbabwe final.

With Sussex being rather a long way from Nairobi, is this expected rain or just bad luck cricketing weather ?

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Train Driver's right. Here's the current table:

Code: Select all

Pl  W L T NR   Pts     NRR
1 Ireland     4  1 1 0  2     9  -0.722
2 Zimbabwe    3  1 1 0  1     7  +0.610
3 Kenya       3  1 1 0  1     7  +0.093
Another abandonment would leave all three teams on 9 points each - Zim & Kenya then have the best NRR, so they reach the final.
A Zim win would leave Zim on 11 or 12 pts, Kenya on 7 or 8 (depending on who gets the bonus point) - so a Zim / Ireland final.
A Kenya win reverses that, so a Kenya / Ireland final.

So Ireland need tomorrow's match to be played, for Zim it's probably safer if it isn't. :twisted:

andy24

Post by andy24 »

i hope it does rain ;) . I rekon it deserves to be an all African final

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Well, Zimbabwe's fate is in their own hands - if they don't reach the final, they've only got themselves to blame (as on paper Kenya shouldn't beat them).

If they do come last in the tourney, I think the calls for them to be bumped back to Associate status will get a lot louder and be a lot harder to argue against. One loss to an Associate is an upset, and can be ignored - when it becomes a regular occurrence, then there's a problem.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

A pity that they cant fly sibanda out. He would be a logical solution to the opening problem and would tear it up in the company of masacadza no doubt :D
I suppose with the squads already being named there is slim chance of that barring an injury :(

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Delayed by rain again today.
Make that abandoned. Zim v Kenya it is, then.

Shame for Ireland - they're a far better side than Kenya, they just didn't get the chance to prove it thanks to the rain...