Ervine wants to play for England

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Ervine wants to play for England

Post by zimfan1 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/16835481

Hampshire's Sean Ervine holds England aspiration
Hampshire's Zimbabwe-born all rounder Sean Ervine says he is hoping to play one-day cricket for England.

In April Ervine completes a four-year residency qualification that will make him eligible to play for England.

Ervine, 29, has signed to play in the Bangladesh Premier League for Duronto Rajshanti fetching £15,700 at auction.

"I want to do well in the BPL and then play well for Hampshire and if I can do two good years then hopefully get a call-up," Ervine told BBC Radio Solent.

Ervine recently cut short his stint playing first-class cricket in Zimbabwe to meet the residency qualification in the United Kingdom.

"It was more of a mutual agreement, me playing first-class cricket out there, but I've had to come back to try to qualify for my eligibility," he added.

"This is my last year and hopefully I am going to fulfil that. Basically it is April to April for four years and you have to do 210 days in the country for four years.

"Then I qualify for England and then hopefully go on for selection."

Continue reading the main story
“It's very exciting, they are trying to copy the IPL and is another opportunity for me to impress and hopefully get into something like the IPL later”

Sean Ervine

It is just over a year since Ervine announced he was returning to Zimbabwe to play Test cricket, only to be talked out of it by Hampshire two weeks later.

Meanwhile, Hampshire's 2012 T20 overseas player, Shahid Afridi, has become the most expensive player in the inaugural Bangladesh Premier League auction.

Dhaka Gladiators bid £450,000 for the leg-spinning all-rounder, who took 17 wickets in 10 matches (at an average of 11.17) for Hampshire last season.

Afridi was the target of all six teams competing in the new competition, which starts on 10 February 2012.

There he will join former Hampshire stars Imran Tahir and Abdul Razzaq.

Based on the Indian Premier League, the Twenty20 competition will include 33 matches including home and away ties between all six teams. The top four teams in the group will then qualify for a knock-out stage with a final on 29 February.

"It's very exciting, they are trying to copy the IPL and is another opportunity for me to impress and hopefully get into something like the IPL later," added Ervine.

jimbo

Re: Ervine wants to play for England

Post by jimbo »

Good riddance to him!! We dont need these fly by night players

FlowerPower
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by FlowerPower »

Good luck to him (no sarcasm meant), but who would he be looking to replace?

1. Keiswetter (24)
2. Cook (27)
3. KP (31)
4. Trott (30)
5. Bell (29)
6. Morgan (25)
7. Bresnan (26)
8. Broad (25)
9. Swan (32)
10. Tremlet(30)/Finn (22)
11. Anderson (29)

In Broad and Bresnan (and Swann to an extent) they seem to have the all rounder slot more or less figured, which I suspect is what he aims to challenge. And many youngsters in queue (Bopara (26), Bairstow (22) and Patel(27)) not to mention our own 22 year old Ballance...I do wonder if at 29 he wouldn't have had a better chance with Zim....but all the best all the same.
1. Mawoyo 2. Duffin 3. Sibanda 4. Taylor 5. Masakadza 6. Williams 7. Chakabva 8. Creamer 9. Jarvis 10. Rainsford 11. Mpofu

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

He won't make it not for the next 2 hrs at least.
If he has a great season he may pop in through injury - but ppl forget he had a terrible 2011 save for one or 2 innings at the end that bumped him up
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene

Post by eugene »

Given the large amount of meaningless T20s and ODIs played these days it wouldn't be all that surprising to see Ervine get picked at some point. England tend to get guys off the street to play for their ODI team.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

When I read this my first concern was that it was Craig Ervine. I'm glad it's not... with Sean it always seemed to be the case anyway.

hhm

Post by hhm »

........and I get questioned when I 'hurl' insults at such guys!

Shut them all away from our First Class competitions! Ballance, Sean Ervine plus (Cameron, de Grandhomme & Ireland if they too want spend their 'off-season' messing us around). We need to be wary of Querl's next moves as well. If he goes back to Unicorns etc, we should kick him out permanently too!

I'm tired of these idiots!
1Mawoyo 2Vusi 3Hami 4Taylor(c) 5Craig 6Matsi 7Taibu(wk) 8Elton 9Cremer 10Rainsford 11Mpofu 12Jarvis

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I think in one of his last one day matches Masakadza and Kevin Kazuza destroyed his bowling and he went for something like 9 an over

Is it bad that that made me happy?? :D

aydee

Post by aydee »

England? IPL? No chance mate!

shumbat

Post by shumbat »

Let him try his luck, he is 29, no need to hand around for ZC to change