Dave Houghton Head Coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
cricket_22001

Re: Dave Houghton Head Coach

Post by cricket_22001 »

Unread post by Googly » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:01 pm
There's a crazy stat. The last West Indian opener to get a test 100 other than Braithwaite was Chris Gayle in 2013 and against Zim.

Apologies for this being in the wrong forum but before Gayle was Kieran Powell & his last century was in 2012 & he played about 30 more tests without a ton. Which illustrates in part the decline of the Windies.
Furthermore, the lack of international contests between the Windies & Zimbabwe is extraordinary. The last tests were in 2017/18 & 2012/13 before that. A tri nation ODI series in2016/17, but only World Cup or qualifiers since 2012/13. And with the abundance of 20/20 stuff, Zim & the Windies have only played each other 3 times & not since 2012/13!
I'm old enough to recall in the 80s, the Windies sent 4 'A' teams to Zimbabwe & I seem to recall they were willing to be their first test opponent if test status was granted. The administrative relationship must be strained or maybe no sponsors. Also, those 'A' teams were titled Young West Indies & West Indies 'B', just for clarification.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

I don't think we've forgiven them since that u19 mankad :lol:

But yeah I'd love to see us play them, probably especially in Tests.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya the days of the touring A sides are done. Aside from us being more competitive back then it was a different era. The touring guys had a bit more free time and were less regulated, they could get out and have some drinks, maybe go fishing and get to know a few people. These days there are more time constraints and the management is all over u 24/7. People need to chill and smell the roses again.
I once watched the West Indians play Mash Country Districts at Harare South and I was out and about with a couple of the players until 4am the night before. Those days are gone, you'd be sent home for that now.

What I'm sure DH will facilitate is more county teams between Jan and March. Again we need to be way more competitive at franchise level to make that more enticing because they will have to play our A side or President's XI or it won't be worth their while. But if we can eventually get a team here for a month or so and they really enjoy themselves that will be a never ending stream of good cricket every year right there.

The Robot
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by The Robot »

Robo to rule :oops:

Googly

Post by Googly »

The real wasted talent is yourself. You missed your calling as a crash test dummy or signing up for medical experiments at a Biden owned laboratory.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Until the end I was thinking SZ is somehow mistaken and Raj is not the Robot/Stoneman troll.. But now he has made it obvious. This is dissapointing because he could posted good stuff and that would have been welcomed. Now it is obvious that he was here only to troll. 🤦‍♂️

Googly

Post by Googly »

What we need here is more locally based forumites. Unfortunately they all steer well clear. Many would be defenders of an imploded system blaming sanctions and they'd get torn a new one.

Trending today is educated people holding down normally well paid jobs trying to get nursing diplomas so they can go and get jobs in the colonial heartland and yet the bosses spin that we are an economic powerhouse. It would be an option for our cricketers- 12 months of wiping old white arses and 4 months of club cricket. £1000 a month for Saturday cricket x 4 months plus £2500 a month x 12 months for cleaning up shit and vomit and feeding someone. No financial stress, no late payments and empty promises. That's $45000 a year and could probably save 20k of it. Enough to buy an illegal stand here sold to you by an unscrupulous MP or Councillor.
I have a few friends, and a couple of male friends that have gone the bum wiping route. You do what u gotta do. I'd prefer to be on a building site with the Poles, but hey, each to their own.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ncube has just announced that they've dropped levies on diesel and reduced them on petrol, I have many friends in the fuel industry- levies may be down but duties are up 8c a liter. The exact opposite :lol: :lol:
The lies are astonishing.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Trying to legislate our Zollar into law for the next 5 years!!
I know we need a 100% disparity between bank rate and black market rate to fund our biggest employer- the grotesquely bloated civil service, but this is the road to continued economic ruin. Our runaway inflation will never be controlled. But its free funding for local payments and cheap dollars if you're connected and need to pay for your offshore imports or Range Rovers, Rolls Royces and Mazeratis.
There's not an offshore expert that will ever understand how this all works. We dont even understand :lol:
We have an economy that works with fictitious money that nobody wants unless you can use it to buy bank rate money or pay an invoice calculated at bank rate. Then you sell some usd, buy some zollar, pay your bill or get usd and you've made serious profit. But keep a reserve unless you get "investigated" and have to pay someone :lol:

Nate646
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Nate646 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am
Trending today is educated people holding down normally well paid jobs trying to get nursing diplomas so they can go and get jobs in the colonial heartland and yet the bosses spin that we are an economic powerhouse.
That’s interesting. There was a similar craze a little over 20 years ago. Back then people with jobs thumbed their noses at it. It is a sign of how bad things have gotten if even well-educated professionals are going that route.