Zimbabwe squad for India ODI series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe squad for India ODI series

Post by secretzimbo »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:50 pm
This is going to be a HUGE series for Zimbabwe. It will be the definitive proof of whether the Bangladesh series was an anomaly or if it is a sign of the future.

Its going to be all about consistency. Thats the key word. Raza has proven it, but its on the rest of the 16 players to prove it also. No one is going to score 100 every game, so its all about developing 3-4 guys who can all consistently churn out the runs. All eyes will be on the centurions Raza, Chakabva, and Kaia. But it will also come down to those guys who didn't perform also...in particular Wessly, Kaitano, and Marumani.

Ditto for the bowlers.
I disagree, I don't think it's 'HUGE' as such. Chance of us winning a game is extremely small, even more so with all the injuries. It'd be nice if we don't embarrass ourselves and keep the margin of defeat within 100 runs or so. But this series will be soon forgotten either way....

All the focus is (or should be) on the T20WC and getting into the super 12. This series is a good opportunity for our guys to test themselves against top players but really we know we will struggle. It's a different level altogether.

It IS a huge series for ZC's revenue....gate revenues and bar revenue at HSC and presumably they'll sell the broadcast rights to India for a pretty hefty amount.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Googly wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:50 pm
I see they've doubled the entrance fee, except for ZC bootlickers corner :lol:
It's not as bad as I thought it'd be. At least the guys that sing and make the atmosphere will be able to attend and it won't just be asian dudes :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:17 pm

I disagree, I don't think it's 'HUGE' as such. Chance of us winning a game is extremely small, even more so with all the injuries. It'd be nice if we don't embarrass ourselves and keep the margin of defeat within 100 runs or so. But this series will be soon forgotten either way....
What you've mentioned is going to require guys to be consistent. If Kaitano picks up another duck, and Marumani and Madhevere get out for another single digit score each, then you're 3 down inside the first powerplay for the 4th ODI in a row. You won't be keeping the margin to 100 runs or less against even an Indian A team if Kaitano, Kaia, Wes, and Marumani combine for 50 runs or fewer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

So am I right in saying that Williams is dealing with personal issues and Ervine, Blessing and Wellington are all injured?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Kaitano seems to have major problems against the swinging ball when in sri lanka it was against quality leg spin.
He seems in a funk at the moment. I would back him to come out of it.
Marumani should have played in the 20 20 matches first off. Thats his format right there. Have done him an injustice a little.
Kaia looks a good player. Still had a very healthy average of 40 plus in the bangladesh series albeit bolstered by his 110 runs in one match. He will go on to be a good one day player i think.
Madhevere is infuriatingly talented but will he make most of it. Its perhaps time to go back to his roots and the hard work ethic that steve mangongo instilled in him at an early age.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Donald wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:58 pm
Kaitano seems to have major problems against the swinging ball when in sri lanka it was against quality leg spin.
He seems in a funk at the moment. I would back him to come out of it.
Marumani should have played in the 20 20 matches first off. Thats his format right there. Have done him an injustice a little.
Kaia looks a good player. Still had a very healthy average of 40 plus in the bangladesh series albeit bolstered by his 110 runs in one match. He will go on to be a good one day player i think.
Madhevere is infuriatingly talented but will he make most of it. Its perhaps time to go back to his roots and the hard work ethic that steve mangongo instilled in him at an early age.
REplace madhvere with Shumba imo

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:50 pm
This is going to be a HUGE series for Zimbabwe. It will be the definitive proof of whether the Bangladesh series was an anomaly or if it is a sign of the future.

Its going to be all about consistency. Thats the key word. Raza has proven it, but its on the rest of the 16 players to prove it also. No one is going to score 100 every game, so its all about developing 3-4 guys who can all consistently churn out the runs. All eyes will be on the centurions Raza, Chakabva, and Kaia. But it will also come down to those guys who didn't perform also...in particular Wessly, Kaitano, and Marumani.

Ditto for the bowlers.
This Indian lineup is better than the Bangladesh lineup. Not gonna show whether it was an anomaly

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

tej_27 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:01 pm
Surprisingly nothing is mentioned about Williams's absence I hope everything is right there and he has not retired again
It's concerning. If he's not available for this series then I can't see how he'll be available for Australia.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

It's telling that with 4 players out, we are already talking about the struggle. Shows the lack of depth. Hopefully Dave is given a proper opportunity to fix this and gets it right.

Sponsors are the big thing for us. If we can secure them, we can invest in developing that depth, but until then, we will struggle.

I'm aware of sponsors willing, just not with the current board.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

slcricfan1 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:39 am

This Indian lineup is better than the Bangladesh lineup. Not gonna show whether it was an anomaly
Still its a significantly weakened Indian lineup with Kohli, Rohit, Bumrah, Shami, Hardik, and Chahal missing. Thats a total of 6 guys. If you are not even looking to merely fight against the 2nd string lineup, then what is the point of playing? Remember we're not talking about beating India A, we're talking about just competing. SZ just wants to keep the losses to around 100 runs, which isn't really competing unless its 400 beats 300.

India is currently ranked 3rd in ODIs. So if you are ruling out even competing with them, it would also rule out England and NZ who are ranked 1-2. That doesn't leave too many other teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)