Tiffin becomes 11th umpire

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Tiffin becomes 11th umpire

Post by Kopje »

LAHORE: Russell Tiffin became the 11th umpire to stand in 100 ODIs when he took the field for the fourth ODI between Zimbabwe and the West Indies at the Queen’s Sports Club in Bulawayo on Friday. Tiffin (48) reached this milestone 15 years after he made his debut at his home ground in Harare in a match between Zimbabwe and India. Tiffin, born in Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), served in the military for three years before turning his full attention to cricket. A useful player, he kept wicket for Mashonaland in the Zimbabwean provincial scene, said a media release of the ICC.

He switched over to umpiring in 1986 and after making his ODI debut in 1992, he was selected in the ICC international panel of umpires in 1995. He also served on the ICC elite panel of umpires between 2002 and 2004. Tiffin is considered by colleagues, players and friends as a man of few words and he is certainly a no-nonsense umpire. This approach has earned him the respect of players, spectators and his peers across the world.

Tiffin believes his background has a significant role in his development as an umpire. “My cricketing background has helped me immensely in my umpiring career. Having been a wicketkeeper I believe I have an added advantage to make better calls as, after the umpires, the wicketkeepers have the best view of a batsman,” he said in a statement. Reflecting on his achievement, Tiffin said: “It was always a milestone that was in my mind. I am delighted to have achieved something I targeted and now want to go beyond that. It is a special day and it is great to be a member of the 100 club. It is a huge honour and when I look at the calibre of the other umpires who have reached the milestone, it makes me proud.” Tiffin has also stood in 38 Tests with his last match in Hamilton in March 2004. Australia’s Simon Taufel is the youngest umpire so far to reach 100 ODIs – he was 35 when he achieved it – while the umpire with most appearances is South Africa’s Rudi Koertzen who has so far stood in 182 matches.

Most appearances by umpires:

Umpire ODIs

1: Rudi Koertsen (SA) 182

2: David Shepherd (Eng) 172

3: Steve Bucknor (WI) 167

4: Daryl Harper (Aus) 141

5: Darrell Hair (Aus) 135

6: Billy Bowden (NZ) 122

7: Simon Taufel (Aus) 116

8: David Orchard (SA) 107

9: Aleem Dar (Pak) 101

10: Steve Dunn (NZ) 100

11: RUSSELL TIFFIN (ZIM) 100

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Tiffin becomes 11th umpire

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Great achievement. Not far from overtaking Dunn and Dar either. Well done Russell Tiffin :)

Kopje

Post by Kopje »

It brings great joy to see our fellow countrymen taking it far. Zimbabwe rise up!!!

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Russell Tiffin is standing in his first Test match since 2004.
http://content-www.cricinfo.com/wivzims ... 98801.html
10.30 am local time: Aleem Dar and Russell Tiffin are the umpires for this Test. Chris Gayle and Daren Ganga will open the batting for West Indies and it will be Dale Steyn with the new ball for South Africa.
He must be back on the Elite panel then? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:He must be back on the Elite panel then? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Still on the International Panel, apparently - they do get to stand as a neutral umpire in Tests occasionally:
Emirates International Panel members stand in One-Day International matches in their home country, as well as assisting the Emirates Elite Panel at peak times in the cricket calendar when they can be appointed to overseas ODI and Test matches.
From what I remember, he's considered good enough for the Elite Panel, but with Zim's domestic first-class season being so short and there being no Test matches played at the moment, he's short of the required match experience.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

maehara wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote:He must be back on the Elite panel then? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Still on the International Panel, apparently - they do get to stand as a neutral umpire in Tests occasionally:
Emirates International Panel members stand in One-Day International matches in their home country, as well as assisting the Emirates Elite Panel at peak times in the cricket calendar when they can be appointed to overseas ODI and Test matches.
From what I remember, he's considered good enough for the Elite Panel, but with Zim's domestic first-class season being so short and there being no Test matches played at the moment, he's short of the required match experience.
That's a shame if true. Should request to ZC and CSA to stand in Supersport games...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

According to Cricinfo, regarding the average umpiring in the Sydney Test.

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ausvind ... 29428.html
The umpiring at Sydney was as poor as the umpiring was good in Cape Town.
At Cape Town:
Umpires SJA Taufel (Australia) and RB Tiffin (Zimbabwe)
;)