[Match Thread] 6th Match: Zimbabwe v South Africa

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: [Match Thread] 6th Match: Zimbabwe v South Africa

Post by andy24 »

Levi is gone. hopefully we can make it to the 15th over mark

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It's a tough ask, but with Levi out I guess there's a chance we can make it through the 15th over now.
If we can keep Ontong on strike, maybe not concede a boundary for the next over or two... strangely, a wicket is probably not the desired outcome at the moment. Albie Morkel could take the game away from us in a few lusty blows.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

2 overs 25 runs, i think we can do it

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Great spell by Cremer. We have to defend 22 runs from this over, come on Muzhunge!

takleg

Post by takleg »

After today's performance I'm officially a member of the Cremer appreciation society! He's so so gun!
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

andy24

Post by andy24 »

we are into the final. lets hope we dont play this bad again

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Bit of a hollow victory. South Africa could have pressed for a 15 over victory even when Levi got out, but they chose not to. Having said that, no amount of defence could have stopped South Africa from winning inside 15 overs if it wasn't for Graeme Cremer. His 36 propelled Zimbabwe to a total that was never going to be enough to win, but could be enough to stop SA from winning comprehensively. And his four over spell also was vital despite a lot of those balls going to Behardien and Ontong. Of note, Behardien had no idea when Cremer bowled his wrong-un. He's fast becoming the best spinner in the country, and given Chigumbura's form he may well be trying to carve a spot in the Test and ODI teams as an allrounder.

On the plus side, today's game is a write off. A chance to reset. Anything in the 160 region is a good total and if Zimbabwe can get rid of Amla and Levi early the job is half done.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Great news that we are in the final. I look forward to victory over South Africa. Too bad that Craig Ervine has had a wretched run in this series.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

is it just me or has Utseya been rather unaffective in these matches either as a container or a wicketaker?

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

jimbo wrote:is it just me or has Utseya been rather unaffective in these matches either as a container or a wicketaker?

Im with you on this one. Ive found he has become rather ineffective for a long time now. Probably getting a bit too stale and needs to take a break, work on his game and come back stronger and better.

Performance last night was below par from a team that we know are capable of much better. Cant rely too much on the top 3 to perform. Cremer has really impressed me this series, with both bat and ball. Lets hope he keeps growing.

One thing we need to work on apart from foot movement when at the crease and not playing across the line, is our bowling. We had so many different bowlers yesterday. Also, Muzhange came in very late and Mpofu, who looked good, only got one over. No need to chop and change between bowlers, pick a solid core, build on them and you keep improving and getting better.