T20 World Cup - Zimbabwe v Ireland Match Thread (October 17th)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

T20 World Cup - Zimbabwe v Ireland Match Thread (October 17th)

Post by zimfan1 »

Felt the match needed its own thread.

For me the choice is being an extra batter or an extra bowler with Wellington unlikely to play.

1) Ervine
2) Chakabva
3) Wes
4) Williams
5) Raza
6) Shumba
7) Burl
8) One of Munyonga, Evans and Jongwe
9) Blessing
10) Chatara
11) Ngarvara

jaybro

Re: T20 World Cup - Zimbabwe v Ireland Match Thread (October 17th)

Post by jaybro »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:04 am
Felt the match needed its own thread.

For me the choice is being an extra batter or an extra bowler with Wellington unlikely to play.

1) Ervine
2) Chakabva
3) Wes
4) Williams
5) Raza
6) Shumba
7) Burl
8) One of Munyonga, Evans and Jongwe
9) Blessing
10) Chatara
11) Ngarvara
Yeah I’m wrestling with that decision myself, I feel like 3 seamers isn’t enough but 4 is too many 😬😬😬 I think they need both Jongwe & Evans both in the side, they’re double threat players.

I’m a little concerned that this lineup lacks some firepower up front, but with Burl, Jongwe & Evans coming late, there is some power hitting there.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I think seeing as both Evans and Jongwe are capable enough with the bat, we might as well play 4 seamers.

But the question is which one? I presume Blessing, Ngarava and Larry all play. So Jongwe or Evans? Evans in better form but Jongwe a point of difference with his T20 death bowling variations.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:35 am
I think seeing as both Evans and Jongwe are capable enough with the bat, we might as well play 4 seamers.

But the question is which one? I presume Blessing, Ngarava and Larry all play. So Jongwe or Evans? Evans in better form but Jongwe a point of difference with his T20 death bowling variations.
I’d play both Evans & Jongwe plus Blessing of course

Chatara or Ngarava is the decision, I’d probably side with Chatara has he’s got slightly better control than Richard.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Jongwe has been bowling less and less in the last 10 games or so. Wonder if that is a sign that his star is falling a bit.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:37 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:35 am

I’d play both Evans & Jongwe plus Blessing of course

Chatara or Ngarava is the decision, I’d probably side with Chatara has he’s got slightly better control than Richard.
Hmm. I see the logic.
But I’d keep the left-armer. And Chats experience is key.

For me it’s Jongwe Vs Evans, but it’s nice to have options!!

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I think Jongwe would be the better option for batting depth in T20, Evans the better bowler for me. A really tough one.

Or they could just play Munyonga at 8 at trust that Raza, Burl, Wes and Williams between them can bowl 8 overs.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

I've seen nothing from Jongwe to suggest he is remotely dependable with the bat. Evans has shown some balls and some steel when batting so far.
I do rate Jongwe because he takes wickets, but his bowling is also expensive.
I'm excited for the game

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I think Evans is slightly ahead of Jongwe at the moment because he has been taking more wickets. In T20, wickets can be invaluable as opposed to someone that can easily be turned for 6 an over at minimum.

Also think this quote from Evans in his recent Cricinfo article is telling and I've no idea how Lalchand lasted so long in the job
"Forget the cricket. The changing room between the two series that I played is such a different place. It's jovial, guys are making jokes. It's just a happier place," Evans said. "The only thing that Dave has come in and done is said, 'Guys, I don't care if you get out, but I want you to play your shots'. So you'll see someone play a terrible shot and you'll think, 'Oh, my god, what do you think the coach is going to say to him?'

"But Dave will actually just ask him about his thought process and say, 'Maybe try this next time; but I like the way you batted today'. That gives that same guy the freedom to go out next time and still try and express himself. He doesn't hammer guys for getting things wrong because at the end of the day, we're all human."

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

If you guys are leaving Jongwe out, who would you bowl at the death?