Zimbabwe cricket quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Zimbabwe cricket quiz

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Rules are easy. Whoever answers correctly gets to ask the next question :)

Who is the only Zimbabwean bowler to have taken a hat-trick in Tests?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe cricket quiz

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

It is none other than Arnoldus Mauritius Blignaut, against Bangladesh.

Now, coming to my question...

This Zimbabwean cricketer was chosen in the playing eleven for one of the world cup ODI matches (I would not even mention the year), but in very bizarre and unfortunate circumstances, could not take the field at all throughout the match. Who is he and why did it happen?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Well, I'm completely stumped. Initial thoughts were Graeme Hick in 1983, but he never played an ODI for Zimbabwe, so he's out. I thought perhaps Henry Olonga after the armband incident, but he actually bowled 3 overs.

So to have a stab in the dark, I'll say it was Mark Vermeulen - he seems to attract the bizarre and unfortunate.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

@brmtaylor.com admin: You have done very good reasoning :) , but the answer is incorrect.

The correct answer is Brian Murphy, and the match was the super 6 league match against New Zealand in 2003 CWC. He did not have to bat, and suffered a torn calf muscle during the lunch break practice. So, he could not take the field when it was Zimbabwe's turn to bowl!

So, here's my next question, a little easier this time...

Who held the record as Zimbabwe's youngest test centurion before Hamilton Masakadza broke it in 2001?

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Who held the record as Zimbabwe's youngest test centurion before Hamilton Masakadza broke it in 2001?
Alistair Campbell?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

Hamilton at 17 yrs bettered Guy Whittals record of scoring test century at the youngest age(22 yr).
Now my question, an extension of above- the youngest Zimbabwean to score FIRST CLASS ton before Masakadza?
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I assume we are talking about post-independence ZImbabwe? There were probably some young Rhodesians that moved to South Africa before 1980 and scored centuries.

So I'll go with... Graeme Hick? At 19 (1985) he scored a First Class century against Oxford University.

andy

Post by andy »

is it greg lamb (19)
At Mutare Sports Club; 24-26 March 2000. CFX ACADEMY 191 (G A Lamb 100*; A R Whittall 5/47) and 250/5. MANICALAND 288 (N R Ferreira 121). Match drawn.

zimdan

Post by zimdan »

Alright ill have a stab at a question for you all!

How many sets of twins have played international cricket for Zimbabwe at any stage of our cricketing history?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

andy wrote:is it greg lamb (19)
At Mutare Sports Club; 24-26 March 2000. CFX ACADEMY 191 (G A Lamb 100*; A R Whittall 5/47) and 250/5. MANICALAND 288 (N R Ferreira 121). Match drawn.
My question was- the youngest Zimbabwean to score first class ton BEFORE Masakadza?
Answer to that is Alistair Campbell.

No idea about twin question
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu