Regis Chakabva moves to Australia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimlover
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Regis Chakabva moves to Australia

Post by zimlover »

Regis has moved to Australia, will not be playing a part in the domestic scene

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Regis Chakabva moves to Australia

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

This definitely deserved a thread of its own and discussions. Thanks for putting it here.

Will be a big blow short term at the very least.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Interestingly he said he is still available for the national team. He must have spoken to them before. Will he try do what Mire did? His family moved to Australia too. So that's definitely a permanent decision.

If he is allowed to do that and play for the national team I think we might see Ervine and Williams do it too. Maybe they just pitch up for the regional games and then the national games. Makes sense for everyone involved.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

If we are also being honest Williams looks like he has decided he isn't playing domestic cricket anymore :lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

I honestly have nothing against players living and playing in another country and playing for the National team, however it just needs to be consistent. Can't say that if the UK guys want to play for the national team, they must play in teh domestic set up, but then allow others to get away from it.

Good on Reggie for making the move and hope he actually does something good with it and can contirbute to whichever club he is going to.

Googly

Post by Googly »

So does this mean he's still on a Central Contract and ZC will pay for his tickets?
Its unlikely, but if its the case he has been given a pass.
Unfortunately he hasn't done enuf of late to warrant that and we have a couple of guys waiting in the wings, whom with hindsight, would have done no worse.

Mire was playing club in Australia, the UK based guys are playing County and their contracts would definitely not allow them unless they were signed as overseas and they've not done enuf to warrant that.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Hopefully this sets a precedence and we saw players located abroad make themselves available for Zimbabwe despite not playing domestically.

The local leagues don’t produce enough international quality players so I’m not fussed if the National team players don’t play in it. As long as they are playing somewhere and still performing to a decent level I have no issues what so ever.

However, I just listened to Dean DuPlessis’ interview with Tavengawa Mukuhlani who said that he would welcome back any player to Zimbabwe, but it must be on their (ZC) terms including playing domestic cricket.

Maybe Regis has been given special dispensation much like the Wallabies did when they created the ‘Giteau Law’ after selecting veteran Matt Giteau for the 2015 Rugby WC despite the fact he was playing overseas at the time. The ARU made a new rule that players who had played ‘x amount’ of games could move overseas yet still play for the Wallabies.

In regard to Regis’ worth for the side, I think we can all agree it’s time for a new t20 keeper batsman, but for ODI & Test cricket he is still a vital cog to the side. He just scored his maiden ODI ton along with the 40 odd not out to see us home v Australia.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

A very genuine question to any Zimbabwean out here. I am not trying to instigate any race card here just asking this question out of curiosity. Suppose ZC manages to lure all three of balance, Welch and Moor (now that chakabva's future in uncertain) . In that case this is the team we might play for qualifiers ODI
1. Ballance
2. Welch
3. ervine
4. Williams
5. Raza.
6. Moor
7. Burl
8. Jongwe or Campbell (if he keeps doing well)
9. Evans
10. Ngarava
11. Muzarbani
Do you think zimbabwe can play as many as 7 whites in the team ? If it gives your best team ?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Who knows what the "quota" is.
There will be disagreement amongst themselves. There will be a number, despite what anyone says. I would think DH might be able to "buy" one more slot.

The one guy we may see back here sooner rather than later is Dusty Melton. If he doesn't get a County contract (and to the best of my knowledge he doesn't currently have one) he is in Ben Curran's boat. He was on an overseas contract until Dec but the treacherous Mickey Arthur stabbed him in the back before he was eligible.Two months later Dusty's dad died and this news would not have helped. Families invest everything into chasing the dream.
Dustin is a bit injury prone, but he's a fine bowler and he can bat. He would vie for the Jongwe/Evans slot as a bowling all-rounder.
What isn't clear is how many years of penance guys have to do before they potentially get a look-in.
I've watched him bowl and bat often and he's a good player. Not quite ever made the grade but that doesn't mean a lot. He's quicker than anyone here, bowls good line and length and is a decent player. In fact I think it was Ngidi who got the nod ahead of him in the SA u19 if I'm not mistaken, which caused some muttering. Ngidi has gone on to be a good international, but this is the nature of cricket. You get your break by fair means or foul and you make it count.

The only guy I see them making an exception for is Ballance , everyone else will have to do time on a pittance if they want to play here.
I'd think they will weigh up their odds of qualifying, especially now that SA are in the mix, and that will enforce their decision of not dangling a carrot to anyone anytime soon. Plus what is a factor is how long Ervine, Williams and Raza stick around. If two of those three stepped aside then they're in immediate trouble. They are unlikely to retire simultaneously so it will be a staggered problem, not dissimilar to the frog and the pot.
Plus we may have someone come through the ranks in the meantime as well. Unlikely but not impossible.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

tej_27 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:14 am
A very genuine question to any Zimbabwean out here. I am not trying to instigate any race card here just asking this question out of curiosity. Suppose ZC manages to lure all three of balance, Welch and Moor (now that chakabva's future in uncertain) . In that case this is the team we might play for qualifiers ODI
1. Ballance
2. Welch
3. ervine
4. Williams
5. Raza.
6. Moor
7. Burl
8. Jongwe or Campbell (if he keeps doing well)
9. Evans
10. Ngarava
11. Muzarbani
Do you think zimbabwe can play as many as 7 whites in the team ? If it gives your best team ?
It's a moot point because that isn't even our best team, even if it was possible (it's not). Welch and Ballance are under contract. They aren't going to be playing for Zimbabwe in the next year or so at least.

Moor in't even the first choice wicket-keeper for Mountaineers these days so it's a stretch to see him keeping wicket for Zim in a world cup qualifier, even before you consider that everyone in ZC despises him currently. And I don't see how Campbell and Burl would ever both fit in the same team.

So it's a question that doesn't need answering.