Test XI - Windies series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Text XI - Windies series

Post by Kriterion_BD »

The idea of having Marumani open may be out of the box, but might just what could keep ZIM's trajectory going upwards in what I am dubbing the Houghton Revival. In less than 6 months, Houghton's ZIM has achieved more than Rajput or Whatmore's ZIM did in 3-4 years. A series win against Bangladesh (streak was 19 consecutive defeats over 9 years), overseas win vs Australia, and dominating the WCQs was way more than anyone expected, and definitely counts as a revival. The key of course is carriying that form over.

I say let Marumani take advantage of Test fields and go hard at it. True, opponents will quickly plug the scoring areas and go "defensive" early but by then Marumani could be 20 off 15 to start a Test. Kaitano/Kasuza can anchor from the other end. There is little value in trying to be 50-0 at lunch on day 1 on a belter. Definitely bat that way on Day 5 if you're trying to save a match, but not on day 1 after winning the toss. Kaitano, Kasuza, Prince, Chari all bat way to slow up top.

*Disclaimer: not sold on Marumani yet, but throwing out a potential possibility to see where he's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Hopefully Eagles don’t continue to burden him with the gloves in 4 day cricket, but if they do then he could well bat down the order at like 6 for them.

Let’s hope they don’t ruin him.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

I don’t want to see Marumani thrown in to open in a Teat match yet, I can’t see how it could be good for his career at this stage.

For me Kasuza & Kaitano are the best options with Kaia as No.3, that gives the best protection to the middle order.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

What has Kasuza done to regain his place since he was dropped (And everyone wanted him dropped)? He averaged 26 from 14 Logan Cup innings last year which isn't fantastic. Kaitano has barely scored a run for the best part of a year either.

Kaia averaged 47 last year and 61 the year before. He has to open alongside whoever scores a few runs this Logan Cup season. The (non-overseas) franchise openers are likely to be Curran/Mudzinganyama/Mpofu/Maunze/Kamunhukamwe/Kasuza/Masvaure/Kaitano.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:04 am
What has Kasuza done to regain his place since he was dropped (And everyone wanted him dropped)? He averaged 26 from 14 Logan Cup innings last year which isn't fantastic. Kaitano has barely scored a run for the best part of a year either.

Kaia averaged 47 last year and 61 the year before. He has to open alongside whoever scores a few runs this Logan Cup season. The (non-overseas) franchise openers are likely to be Curran/Mudzinganyama/Mpofu/Maunze/Kamunhukamwe/Kasuza/Masvaure/Kaitano.
You have to pick some right?

I agree Kaia should be there and I have him at first drop.

I just think Kaitano & Kasuza are the best guys available to see off the new ball and protect the middle order.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:13 am
secretzimbo wrote:

You have to pick some right?
Unfortunately! :lol:

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:

Kaia is in Australia right? Not sure he will be playing in the Logan Cup.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Geez a couple of tours to Aus and half the side don’t want to leave

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Kaia has been playing for the same Grade side as Diplock. But as far as I know Kaia is coming back soon. He might miss the first round of matches this week but should be back at some point.

cricket_22001

Post by cricket_22001 »

I'll have my annual rant about the lack of development in the Zimbabwe system. Particularly with spin.
So many comments about Wellington's this & Mavuta's that & the test side will have to rely on Raza & Burl.
Read a cricinfo article about Rehan Ahmed being selected in the full England squad for Pakistan purely on Mc Cullums & Stokes' appreciated of his approach. They recognize the experience of touring & rubbing shoulders with other internationals will be beneficial to the youngster.
He was noticed in the England v England Lions game being played.
So, we go back to A tours. It's one thing assembling a team to play against countries touring Zimbabwe, but it's a different experience being on tour. For a start, a player gets found out if they are a good tourist. Matthew Elliott from Oz & Steve Harmison from England were two players well known for being bad tourists- for different reasons.
Raza is the player he is because of, in part, being in demand for T20 comps around the world.
Muzarabani is your senior quickie because he spent time in England.
Burl's bowling seems to be recognized more so after his Bangladesh & Afghan T20 stints.
There were many praises for Ngavara on his Oz tours & I would like to think he rubbed shoulders with other internationals, talked cricket & picked up tricks.
I'll guarantee the world doesn't know who Mavuta is because he is not showcased despite taking wickets on the local scene for the last 3 years. He played for Durban Heat in 18/19 then a void.
Wellington is still under 30 years old & quickly running out of time.
There will be comments on lack of funds/misappropriation of funds/inefficient management of funds but I hope Houghton can force a hand to increase development. You had less money in the 90s & early 2000s & did heaps more touring.
Spin & opening bats are your bug bear now but it will filter to other areas soon enough.
As for Afghanistan's cancellation, initially I was angry as I can't help but feel they want the ICC full membership money but not play tests. Then a story emerged during the T20WC that the Taliban was in charge of the banks & withholding the ICC money. The Afghan FC comp was being played despite the players not being paid & were playing in good faith. I thought maybe it's all about the money & the board's hands are tied. There were no further updates so I guess all is ok. Then I got angry again because I seem to recall Afghanistan said a few years ago they were tired of playing Zimbabwe as often as they do.
Now I'm just a grumpy old man. Don't get me started on David Warner's latest rantings!
Looking forward to the Logan Cup (whatever day ending in Y it starts).