Zim Afro T10 league

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: Zim Afro T10 league

Post by TapsC2 »

I'm also expecting Hami, Elton and maybe even Mire to make an appearance. PJ too if he doesn't count as a foreign player. Expect a lot of people coming out of retirement for a quick buck :lol:

Marshmallow

Post by Marshmallow »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 am
I'm also expecting Hami, Elton and maybe even Mire to make an appearance. PJ too if he doesn't count as a foreign player. Expect a lot of people coming out of retirement for a quick buck :lol:
:lol: :lol:

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

My opinion is that only Test and T20 (eventually hundred) make sense today.

T10 is a bad copy of T20 (or Hundred).
List A, ODI do not have a meaning today.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

andrea lanzoni wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:10 pm
My opinion is that only Test and T20 (eventually hundred) make sense today.

T10 is a bad copy of T20 (or Hundred).
List A, ODI do not have a meaning today.
Of course 50 over cricket has a meaning, a damn sight more so than the 20 over close your eyes and slog rubbish, I've watched loads of 50 and 60 over matches over the years and they provide batsmen the opportunity to build an innings as well as learning to score quickly and bowlers the chance to perfect both attacking and defensive bowling, the only reason 20 over shite is popular is because most people are totally unable to concentrate on anything for any reasonable amount of time, getting as much booze down your throat as possible and shouting like a bunch of brainless football supporters doesn't give a cricket match 'sense'

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Of course 50 over cricket has a meaning, a damn sight more so than the 20 over close your eyes and slog rubbish, I've watched loads of 50 and 60 over matches over the years and they provide batsmen the opportunity to build an innings as well as learning to score quickly and bowlers the chance to perfect both attacking and defensive bowling, the only reason 20 over shite is popular is because most people are totally unable to concentrate on anything for any reasonable amount of time, getting as much booze down your throat as possible and shouting like a bunch of brainless football supporters doesn't give a cricket match 'sense'
[/quote]

I disagree.
50 overs cricket surely offers something that neither Test or T20 do.

However......
we may like it or not, but in XXI century people (at least in Europe) have shorter spare time: no family is willing to spend a whole day around a cricket match.
A three hour T20 or Hundred may be feasible at recreational cricket, a 50 overs no more.

Same when it comes to professional cricket: families may spend 3-4 hours watching T20 at the stadium or in front of TV. Very few are willing to stay a whole day.

Just because I badly feel that the effort is to preserve First Class cricket, my pragmatic opinion is that ODIs are to be sacrified. It's utopia to think that whoever would sacrifice lucrative T20 leagues.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I see your point Andrea. But at the same time people have been saying the same thing about 50-over cricket for the past decade and yet it still survives.

I like all three formats of cricket, all in different ways. I hope theres a space for each of them in the future - but ultimately it doesn't matter what any of us think. The only opinions that matter are those of a handful of billionaire investors and several hundred million Indian gamblers who bet on cricket.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Plenty of interest for ODI cricket in India and based on what I've seen in the recent SL- Afg, Ind- Ban, Ind- NZ series, there appears to be enough interest in ODI cricket in most countries.

If the argument of not having time to watch ODIs is to be believed then tests will die sooner than ODIs.

slcricfan1

Post by slcricfan1 »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:10 pm
Plenty of interest for ODI cricket in India and based on what I've seen in the recent SL- Afg, Ind- Ban, Ind- NZ series, there appears to be enough interest in ODI cricket in most countries.

If the argument of not having time to watch ODIs is to be believed then tests will die sooner than ODIs.
Yeah, crowds in Aus recently should not be taken too seriously.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Fans in Australia are spoilt for choice when it comes to sport, so yes I don’t think the recent ill advised series v England should be the death warrant for ODI that people here are claiming.

If Aussies & Poms are interested in it anymore, they should schedule less of it in their home fixtures. But for other countries where they can’t afford to host lots of tests, or can’t attract bigger nations to come across. ODI is the best format for them.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:10 pm

Yeah if its popular in India it will survive, and probably even thrive. I don't know what the interest level for ODIs in England or Australia is. You can't guage accurately with English crowds when they play an Asian nation because the entire stadium is full of Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi fans when they do. You have to gauge fan inerest in an England v non-Asain ODI. Ditto for Australia.

But ODIs will definitely surivive with the World Cup and Champions Trophy in play. What will happen is a some top players (eg Ben Stokes) will retire from it. But even there, there's some talk of Stokes making a comeback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)