Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:You guys are experts at playing the timezones so that I miss questions.
Well, that's untrue :) This question was open for more than 24 hours, so no timezone issues there. And I did not even reply after figuring out the answer soon after I saw the question too and kept it open for others to latch onto...

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Keith Ransberg Kondo is correct.

The images are Keith FC in Scotland, the church in the small flemish village of Ransberg (I never knew Keith Kondo's second name) and a hammerhead, "Kondo" in Shona. According to my dictionary "Kondo" also means "bagworm", a moth which develops in a sort of bag (if you believe wikipedia)--I don't know what kind of bagworm Crimson was showing us, or if he used a different dictionary :?

CrimsonAvenger: 56
Eugene, foreignfield: 53
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), Jemisi: 22
gargamel: 20
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
PSR: 15
totoro: 14
Train Driver: 13
andrewn9. sloandog: 12
samedwards, aydee: 10
grant, Googly: 9
andy24: 8
alan132: 7
dylan, maehara, cock, reverbinstinct: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS: 4
baiju029, jaybro, cricket_22001: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Tom91, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, ZIMFAN, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, jontym87, rupeni: 1

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:According to my dictionary "Kondo" also means "bagworm", a moth which develops in a sort of bag (if you believe wikipedia)--I don't know what kind of bagworm Crimson was showing us, or if he used a different dictionary
I'm using the same online dictionary you had shared sometime back: http://vashona.com/en/translator

This says "bagworm ( hammerhead )" as the translation for kondo. I assumed it was talking about hammerhead worms ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipalium ) and not hammerhead sharks with that description. I could be wrong though. Just thought Zimbabweans talking about hammerhead sharks could be less likely than them talking about hammerhead worms. Hammerhead worm in Zimbabwe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDi-k0x9cZg.

There is nothing linking bagworms and hammerhead worms though. May be Shona experts here can enlighten us?

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Oh, I get it, your link is to the "translator" while I used the "dictionary" of the same site where I got the two meanings (shark) and the insect which constructs a baglike case (bagworm): http://vashona.com/en/dictionary/sna/kondo

This also explains why you had "kugotsi" for back of the head where the dictionary only had "gotsi".

Not sure which instrument is more reliable :?

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Aha! That explains the confusion. I'll check both from now on :)

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

539. A bit of a "statistical" tinge to the latest photo quiz question. Also a way to bring the current skipper into this thread. What connects them?
ZCPQ401.jpg
ZCPQ401.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 2856 times

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Here's a clue for the same question. Making it much easier...
ZCPQ402.JPG
ZCPQ402.JPG (54.68 KiB) Viewed 2809 times

jontym87
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jontym87 »

Test Runs (test ton)
Professional troll feeder since 2011 :P

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

jontym87 wrote:Test Runs (test ton)
No. Apart from Cremer and to an extent his companion from the original question image, others do / did not have much of a batting pedigree.

This is pretty tough. And has got everything to do with a unique statistical achievement. If you recognize who the first guy in the second image I shared, you should be through with some progress already...

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

One of Bhuvneshwar's claims to fame is that his first international wicket in all three modes was claimed by bowling the opposition batsmen. Does this have anything to do with the question. I know who the SL player is in the second image.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes