Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Post by foreignfield »

As an even more outlandish and implausible connection I was about to suggest that Traicos (with roots in the Greek islands) and Guy Whittall (with his family roots in Smyrna) are the only Zimbabwe players whose ancestors once lived under Ottoman rule -- but then I remembered Guy's brother Andrew which turns this "group" into a trio :lol:

I think that's me done for today ...

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 am
Not a former Zim international and thus not what you are looking for, but it has occured to me that if I'm not mistaken (as I might well be) Traicos and Brendan Taylor are the only Zimbabwe players whose Test careers extend over three decades (?): BT is, I believe, the only player who debuted (in Tests) in the 2000s and is still going strong in the 2020s. None of the Test players who debuted in the 90s managed to extend their careers into the 2010s, while Traicos' career covers the 1970s to 1990s (although with a hole in the 1980s--which also leaves a hole in my argument ...).

That's a pretty long-winded and maybe not entirely convincing attempt to sneak up to the duo at the top :)
Except for that major hole in the argument, it was looking pretty convincing, So, yeah, that's not the answer :)

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

foreignfield wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:23 am
As an even more outlandish and implausible connection I was about to suggest that Traicos (with roots in the Greek islands) and Guy Whittall (with his family roots in Smyrna) are the only Zimbabwe players whose ancestors once lived under Ottoman rule -- but then I remembered Guy's brother Andrew which turns this "group" into a trio :lol:

I think that's me done for today ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I should of course add that Andrew and Guy are cousins, not brothers.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Just to add a clue:

Traicos was alone in this group till last year.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

OK, an update to the clue. Traicos got company because of something that changed last year. Else, he would still be alone in this "group". If this change that happened last year had happened earlier, he could very well have got company a few years back and the group size would have been larger than 2.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Is the other player a Zimbabwean?

Is Gregory Strydom the answer?

Like Traicos he was born outside Zimbabwe, but would represent Zimbabwe and another country not of his birth (Cayman Islands) in international cricket. Traicos of course being born in Egypt but representing Zimbabwe and South Africa.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

eugene wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:08 am
Is the other player a Zimbabwean?

Is Gregory Strydom the answer?

Like Traicos he was born outside Zimbabwe, but would represent Zimbabwe and another country not of his birth (Cayman Islands) in international cricket. Traicos of course being born in Egypt but representing Zimbabwe and South Africa.
Perfect! Gregory Strydom was the man I was looking for. Playing the highest level of cricket for more than a country. Strydom joined this group by playing T20Is for Cayman Islands last year, and ICC changed the rules to make all T20s between all its members as internationals last year. Had they done it in 2017, Even Watambwa might have joined this club.

CrimsonAvenger

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Adding a point each for eugene and jaybro:

eugene: 63
CrimsonAvenger: 62
foreignfield: 61
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Jemisi: 24
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), gargamel: 22
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
totoro, sloandog: 16
PSR: 15
Train Driver: 13
andrewn9, grant: 12
samedwards, aydee, Googly: 10
andy24: 8
alan132, reverbinstinct: 7
dylan, maehara, cock, jaybro: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover, cricket_22001: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS, jontym87: 4
baiju029, Tom91: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17, TapsC, ZIMFAN: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, rupeni, tawac: 1

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Good get Eugene
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement