Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Post by foreignfield »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Peter Rawson?
No, it's not Peter Rawson.

To be precise, he was more a giant of Rhodesian cricket, but still played post-independence.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

David Lewis ?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Great story about David Lewis

Headless chicken run

The man who followed orders all too well

In 1961 in Adelaide, Ken "Slasher" Mackay and Lindsay Kline famously saved a Test Match for Australia against West Indies by batting nearly two hours in a battle that proved that saving a match is often as satisfying and exciting as winning one.

A similar tale with an amusing twist took place in Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe) in the sixties in a vital match between Salisbury Sports Club and Alexandra Club. Alexandra needed to win the game to clinch the league. For Salisbury a draw was sufficient to retain the title.

David Lewis, an icon of Rhodesia cricket, was 50-odd not out, and Salisbury were nine wickets down. Winning was out of the question; they were playing for a draw. Lewis was joined at the wicket at approximately 3pm by the young No. 11, named Lindsay, who had been drafted into the team at short notice to make up the numbers.

Lewis asked Lindsay if he could count to six, to which Lindsay timidly replied, "Yes, sir." Lewis then instructed him: "Good. Then on every sixth ball you run, no matter where the ball is hit."

Lewis batted magnificently for almost three hours and farmed the bowling so well that Lindsay did not have to face a ball.

The last over arrived. Lewis was batting with his back to the pavilion with shadows falling across the ground. He played out five balls. The sixth he blocked back to the bowler, after which he put his bat under his arm and turned towards the pavilion, believing the match was saved.

Then, to his horror, out of the corner of his eye he saw the youthful Lindsay sprinting, as per instruction, on the sixth ball, to Lewis' end, only to be promptly run out!

As told to Nagraj Gollapudi. This article was first published in Wisden Asia Cricket magazine
RSS Feeds: Nagraj Gollapudi

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Such a great story. Too bad David Lewis was kicked of the governing board of ZC about 5 years ago by Chingoka and his thugs. I wonder who this Lindsay fellow was?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

zimfan1 wrote:David Lewis ?
It's not David Lewis either, but a great story.

There are plenty of good stories about the man in question too. He literally was the "big man" of Rhodesian/Zimbabwean cricket. ;)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Jack Heron?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Is it Robert Bentley?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Jemisi wrote:Is it Robert Bentley?
Father of under 19 capatain Matthew Bentley

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

Denis Tomlinson? he was the first Zimbabweaen to play for South Africa i think

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

No, it's neither Heron, nor Tomlinson, nor Bentley ... it's a pretty well known figure actually. And when I said big, I meant BIG :lol:

The photo is off cricinfo, and with the number of wrong answers piling up I'm starting to doubt whether cricinfo have not messed this up ... but I couldn't find any other picture of this guy.