Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Zimbabwe Cricket Photo Quiz

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:59 am
Do I get a point for the City End skipper? :D
Yep!

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Right, here are the updated scores:

CrimsonAvenger: 57
eugene, foreignfield: 55
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Jemisi: 23
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), gargamel: 22
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
totoro: 16
PSR: 15
Train Driver: 13
andrewn9. sloandog: 12
samedwards, aydee, grant: 10
Googly: 9
andy24: 8
alan132, reverbinstinct: 7
dylan, maehara, cock: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS, jontym87: 4
baiju029, jaybro, cricket_22001, Tom91: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17, TapsC: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, ZIMFAN, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, rupeni, tawac:1

And here is the next question:

558. Who is this exciting prospect?
ZCPQ417.JPG
ZCPQ417.JPG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 3519 times

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

Only because he was mentioned a few weeks back but is it that kid that got the double hundred Ross Mills?
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

TapsC

Post by TapsC »

Hmmm I think thats either Ed Byrom or Nick Welch because of that school uniform .

Googly

Post by Googly »

That would be young Dane Shardendorf.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 am
That would be young Dane Shardendorf.
Decent player?

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Righto, Dane Schadendorf it is. Googly gets to double figures with that...

CrimsonAvenger: 57
eugene, foreignfield: 55
zimfan1: 36
Ming: 34
Jemisi: 23
Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic), gargamel: 22
brmtaylor.com admin: 19
totoro: 16
PSR: 15
Train Driver: 13
andrewn9. sloandog: 12
samedwards, aydee, grant, Googly: 10
andy24: 8
alan132, reverbinstinct: 7
dylan, maehara, cock: 6
mdm, Leg-Glance, zimlover: 5
Rayzer, Detective RDS, jontym87: 4
baiju029, jaybro, cricket_22001, Tom91: 3
Conant, hhm, Flower power, Horo, PieChucker, Zimfanatic69, sixes fan, rusty17, TapsC: 2
zimdan, Boundary, betterdays, jamthala, auszim, pearl, takleg, ZIMFAN, TheCricketStoreZim, TheBradDevil, herb, AngusBeef, jimmylesaint, SpitfiresKent, rupeni, tawac:1

By the way, what's the latest status of the great Trent Jayden "Don Bradman" Schadendorf? Is he around and available for this domestic season? (highly unlikely, but still...)

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya this young man is an excellent prospect, technically very good. I think he’s 15 or maybe just turned 16, definitely one of the best young guys we’ve had for a while.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:23 am
Ya this young man is an excellent prospect, technically very good. I think he’s 15 or maybe just turned 16, definitely one of the best young guys we’ve had for a while.
And we'll no doubt lose him too.
Out of curiosity, how are we still producing young talents like this even though there's no structure in place? Even a few years ago with names like Welch, Burl, Muyeye, Byrom etc, the system at grass roots level was just as shit then as it is now. Do they have private coaching in the week or are they just freak talents with the bat? I watched Welch in a T20 finals day against a Clifton and he absolutely smoked Liam Hurt all over the place; the boy has pace

Googly

Post by Googly »

Here you’ve hit the nail on the head. I’m not sure it’s possible to be a really good batter without a lot of quality coaching. You simply cannot get that in a team net environment. It’s all about one on one, grooving shots, practicing what you’re not good at, deciding what your best shots are etc. I’m not sure there’s a single good batsman that hasn’t spent literally thousands of hours hitting balls. In our age group cricket traditionally the better batters have generally (obviously some exceptions to this) been white kids and this is usually because the parents have ensured their kids get the coaching.
I read a post by Madhevere’s dad who was saying how his son used to steal grandad’s bicycle and ride to HSC for cricket. He was trying to convey how dedicated his kid was, but he was also inadvertently showing his lack of input at the same time. Young Madhevere is really good and is now on scholarship, but he’s probably a bowling all-rounder, which is my point. The black guys tend to put their faith in the system and we don’t have a very good one. Muyeye is the best black youngster I’ve seen, but he’s a Peter House boy and their facilities are as good as anywhere in the world, but even he probably only got real attention the year before he left for Eastbourne, which just shows how amazingly good he is. My point is that when you see a decent kid from a poor background you know you’re looking at real talent, but they’ve left it late. I believe that you need to be a stand out player by the time you’re 14/15 or you’re going to struggle when you try and compete internationally. Again there are exceptions, I’m just talking rule of thumb. I think Muyeye is good enough to forge a county career for himself, he’s that good that Sussex will invest in him, by the time he’s finished school he’s only got to do another two years and he’s eligible. There’s no amount of grass roots or sporadic age group tours that will produce a kid like this, it’s impossible. Nowadays cricket is so competitive it’s like golf or tennis, you will not find a good’un that hasn’t spent thousands of hours practicing from when he was a wee boy.