Malcom Waller Where Has He Been

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Malcom Waller Where Has He Been

Post by zimfan1 »

this guy is 24 but i have never seen him playing for the under 19's or any provincial side before this year?

does anyone know why he hasnt

he looks decent as has a good technique and tends to get behind the line of the ball

hopefully he will be around for many years to come

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Malcolm Waller Where Has He Been

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

He was very good to watch, the aggressive shots he played - he played the ball on their merits. No stupid slogging or playing at shots that weren't there, all of his boundaries as far as I remember were risk free. He seems to be very strong through the cover region. I wonder how many batsmen scored 4 off their first ball in international cricket? Surely it would be quite an exclusive club. :)

He was the shining light in what looked to be a pretty ordinary batting performance (until Price worked his magic at the end!).

Of the recognised batsmen, he was far and away the best today. His technique looks very good, he didn't seem to have any trouble with the spinners (Shakib was causing problems for everyone else, but not Waller) and besides the LBW the only shot which didn't come off for him was the one that beat the inside edge (off Mortaza I think?).

This was a very promising start to his career, I hope he plays up the order in the next match.

aydee

Re: Malcom Waller Where Has He Been

Post by aydee »

To be fair he has played a few domestic games in the last couple of years, and hasn't had an especially outstanding record. His selection for this trip, at face value, appeared a bit from nowhere, and others such as Chakabva, Ngulube, Mujuru, Mutizwa might have had an equally strong claim to that slot in the batting order. He does bowl leggies as well, although the team is full of spin. Hopefully he can build on this debut throughout the rest of this tour, and then not decide that he actually doesn't want to play for Zim after all at some point in the next 12 months...

tlse

Post by tlse »

malcolm waller did'nt play for the under 19, he played for u16 but left zimbabwe for study in england. he played for some clubs in england and try to qualify for playing for england, but decide to return in zimbabwe 2 ears before

tlse

Post by tlse »

this is an article from the telegraph dated 2003 who speak of malcolm waller. who was regarded like a very promising talent

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/240397 ... babwe.html

Talking School Sport: Waller turns away from Zimbabwe

By Gareth A Davies
Last Updated: 8:52PM BST 13 May 2003

The exodus of cricketers from Zimbabwe has been largely restricted to that country's high-profile players. Internationals Andy Flower and Henry Olonga publicly voiced their distaste for Robert Mugabe's regime, followed swiftly by their retirement as citizens of the southern African nation. But younger Zimbabweans are starting to take similar steps, which could leave the fragile Zimbabwean cricket structure in total disarray.

Malcolm Waller - son of former Zimbabwe opening batsman Andy Waller - who is in his final year at Brighton College and third season in the First XI at the Sussex school, has opted to earn British citizenship and has turned his back on the country of his birth. This is in spite of having led the Zimbabwean under-15 side in the age-group World Cup in England in 2000.

Waller Jnr was highly regarded within the Zimbabwean cricket community and was clearly being groomed for a senior role.

A top-order batsman and leg-spinner, Waller has not lived here long enough to sign for a county without being considered an overseas cricketer. But under the tutelage of former Sussex all-rounder John Spencer and England women's captain Clare Connor at Brighton, he is being courted by more than one county outside Sussex, for whom he has played at under-16, U-17 and U-19 levels.

"I'll be going to see our boys playing here on tour because I know most of them and have netted with some of them," Waller said. "But I won't be going back to Zimbabwe to play again.

"The way things are going over there, I can see no future in playing for the country of my birth. I completely agreed with Henry and Andy. My ambition now is to make it here as a professional cricketer."

Waller is applying for a place at Oxford Brookes University and therefore the Oxford Centre of Cricketing Excellence side, though a more pressing problem this season has been getting to the crease for Brighton College, given their outstanding batting talent.

Waller made 70 in his first innings this season against the Martlets this week, but has been kept out by the outstanding batting of Joe Gatting, (nephew of Mike and son of former Arsenal footballer Steve) who was called up to represent

Sussex Second XI on Monday. Given that Gatting is still 15, he could yet follow in his uncle's footsteps to represent England.

Brighton College won the inaugural Ben Hollioake Memorial Trophy at the Oval, in a competitive seven-a-side schools tournament. The event raised funds for a trust set up by Adam Hollioake in memory of his brother, Ben, who died in a road accident in Australia last year.

The eight school teams involved played matches of five overs a side. Brighton beat Bishop's Stortford, Portsmouth and KCS Wimbledon, before defeating Westminster in the semi-final, reaching the winning target of 40 in two overs. In the final, Charterhouse fell four short of Brighton's winning total of 72.

Charles Clarke, the Education Secretary, and Sue Campbell, the Government's adviser on school sport and PE, will visit Kingsbury High School, north London, this afternoon.

A new activity playground is being set up to help research by the Institute of Youth Sport which is concerned that teenagers are not meeting recommended guidelines of 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a day. Surely it is time the Department for Education recognised the need for more compulsory physical education.

E-mail letters on school sport or schools cricket to schoolsport@telegraph.co.uk

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

well looks like thankgod he has changed his mind

but not expecting him to be around for the long term

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

This got a future! I do hope he sticks around though, a great step into international cricket.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimfan1 wrote:well looks like thankgod he has changed his mind

but not expecting him to be around for the long term
I think there will be some level of commitment for Malcolm Waller. A few factors to consider; he's representing his country, he is following in his fathers footsteps, the 4 year qualification period once you play international cricket.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

24 years Malcolm Waller looks like a very promising player.I think,he is quite similar to Alistair Campbell.I hope he will be around for many years.Infact I want to see him the test squad of Zimabwe at the top of the order when Zimbabwe will resume playing test cricket again.I guess,he will be a vital player and a future batting star of Zimbabwe along with Sean Williams in the future time.Really a positive sign for Zimbabwe's cricket prospective!