Match thread: 2nd ODI - Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match thread: 2nd ODI - Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

maehara wrote:Ah well - you win some, you lose some.
Yeah, that's how I feel too. We weren't humiliated, I don't think there was any shame in this loss. Sets us up for an interesting "final" in the third game!

As for Dabengwa, I don't think dropping him was a crucial mistake. He's the only batsman that performed worse than Williams prior to this match. Dabengwa was offering a bit with the ball for a change, but I don't think he's selected for his bowling.

Probably we will go into the third ODI with an unchanged lineup. Masakadza and Sibanda were able to put together a semi-decent partnership - they just need to work on batting for longer. 0/26 after 10 overs is not a disgraceful start on this Mirpur wicket. If they can bat longer (say, 0/40 after 15 overs) then they will be able to work the singles and get runs at a quicker rate, just as Williams and Utseya did after they had been batting together for a while.

I think it is important to mention that Utseya is having a wonderful series. As captain, whatever he has decided to do differently from the SL series is working. Bowling changes, powerplays, field placements - his tactics have all been very good. Not to mention his batting has been top notch and his bowling better than ever. He has been wonderful to watch.

aydee

Post by aydee »

Lameeee batting once again. Can't expect the bowlers to pull something out of the fire every time... Effectively 2-1 against Bangladesh, need improvement next time...

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I think that the selectors are going to have to have a good sit down and look at the batsman who though out of form are capable of scoring consistently in some of the series from the past few years. Sibanda has had a rich vein of form when he was playing against the west indies/ bermuda/canada in 2006 and also against bangladesh in 2007 where i think he averaged around 50( Home series)
Taibu though woefully out of form almost won us the ODI series against bangladesh single handed i belive in 2005, Eventually we went down 3-2.
What i am trying to say is that though players are out of form which are the one's who are capable when in-form of dominating attacks in subsequent series
The two fall guys are matsikenyeri and dabengwa, I have never seen these guys consistently dominate attacks in 3-5 match series. The selectors need to have a big hard look at these guys future roles within the side

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I think it is important to mention that Utseya is having a wonderful series.
Oh yes, this is the Utseya we would love to see. He is due for a promotion in the batting order in the next match. If that happens, it might bring the spark back into Chigumbura's batting ;)
zimdan wrote:On a side note im really glad to see that racial discrimination doesnt seem to be happening with selection now?!?!...with Sibanda being dropped for Waller and Williams retained at the expense of Dabengwa.
Indeed, this is miracle of sorts!

We have to hope that we win the toss and bowl on Friday. Irrespective of the pitch conditions, that is our best bet for a win. At least two of Masakadza, Sibanda, Taibu and Matsikenyeri (if he plays) must fire with the bat; followed by Williams and/or Waller consolidation. I would bet on Masakadza coming good on the big occasion, with support from Taibu. Hoping for the best :)