Antum Naqvi

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Antum Naqvi

Post by Crastle_cog »

I mean we don't have anything to go on about whether he'll be picked in the squad as soon as next month. If Naqvi is there to grind out a few seasons and then get his opportunity then I'm all for it. I would rather have Naqvi who wants to play for Zim rather than say Byrom who would probably even choose Ireland over us. Nevertheless, since I'm an outsider I shouldn't be the best person to cover what you chaps might feel .He certainly is doing something shady here.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:52 pm
I mean we don't have anything to go on about whether he'll be picked in the squad as soon as next month. If Naqvi is there to grind out a few seasons and then get his opportunity then I'm all for it. I would rather have Naqvi who wants to play for Zim rather than say Byrom who would probably even choose Ireland over us. Nevertheless, since I'm an outsider I shouldn't be the best person to cover what you chaps might feel .He certainly is doing something shady here.
I see the point you are trying to make here but we aren’t Naqvi’s first choice either, are we? He has Australian and Pakistani passports.

We are Naqvi’s third choice just as much as we are Byrom’s third choice.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:05 pm
Crastle_cog wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:52 pm
I see the point you are trying to make here but we aren’t Naqvi’s first choice either, are we? He has Australian and Pakistani passports.

We are Naqvi’s third choice just as much as we are Byrom’s third choice.
Naqvi’s, Raza and Faraz Abram is the Zimbabwe squad that my friend would be a Zim flavor like no other.

Mix in Bennett and Nick Welch..
Will be back on racial quota system

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:59 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:33 am
I would have a problem with it if he wasn't good enough but he is clearly better than most of our players. If England do it why can't we?
Who do you think he should be replacing in the current set up?
It would be interesting what the Players Union would have to say.....oh I almost forgot. :lol:
I don't think he would get in the team now. They would make him do a few years of domestic to sanitize it so it's a post big 3 play

Googly

Post by Googly »

I will bet my bottom dollar he'll be in a Zim shirt within a year. It's going to cost pops his pyjamas.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:35 pm
I will bet my bottom dollar he'll be in a Zim shirt within a year. It's going to cost pops his pyjamas.
You’re on! :lol:

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

Googly wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:35 pm
If he gets his papers no doubt, the fact that he is keen on the idea I am optimistic that one day he could turn out in the red and yellow.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Why the optimism?
I'd prefer one of our home grown lads to push for a spot, or for our existing guys to improve.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Antum seems to be mixing well with the local Zim kids and it appears clear that he wants to come across as someone genuinely interested in playing for Zim.

If he is ready to spend time, play out a couple of domestic seasons, say this year and next year, then I think, and it's my personal opinion, that he should be in the team.

Look at the expats in other teams, Shariz Ahmad, Nidamanuru, Saqub Zulfikar and the likes in NET, they have so many South Africans too... Eoin Morgan playing for England, KP playing for England... So many such players playing for England. We've seen a lot of Zimbabweans playing for Eng. De Grandhomme playing for NZ. The examples are so many.

Now I get the point that they all spent time and did the years before playing for the national team... So if Antum does the same then I don't see a problem... I won't look at him as an outsider in that case. This is already his 2nd season, if he can do this year and again next year... then I don't see any problem.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Nope, none of the players or examples you list above are comparable whatsoever.

The Naqvi situation - IF we fudge the rules - is unique.