2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: 2023 World Cup Qualifier discussion

Post by sloandog »

tej_27 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:49 am
Associate players are picking county cricket over the World Cup Qualifier. And why shouldn't they?
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/worl ... ey-1381249

Good article explaining the county vs country situation for associate players . Respect for de leede has gone up by many times . Apparently he had clarified that he intends to participate in the qualifiers no matter what before signing the contract with Durham
Great article that. Really does hammer home that associate nations are getting shafted and it stems rught from the very top

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

tej_27 wrote:
Associate players are picking county cricket over the World Cup Qualifier. And why shouldn't they?

Good article explaining the county vs country situation for associate players . Respect for de leede has gone up by many times . Apparently he had clarified that he intends to participate in the qualifiers no matter what before signing the contract with Durham
Yes an interesting article.
It definetely bears witness to what I advocate: national boards are to be employers of their best players.
This is to be the first thing when having to spend money received from ICC.

Following this pattern a small associate nation might pay no more than two or three dozens of cricketers; it would be enough to have a competitive national squad.

Still following the same pattern a small (but full member) nation, with a lower cost of living, might have a couple of hundred players in payroll. A bedrock to have a successful national team.
No other priority for Zimbabwe to use ICC yearly fundings (before the stream gets dry)

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

tej_27 wrote:

It's a great read and really tells us something we didn't already know. The ICC only cares about a select few. They don't care if the associates and lower nations are not looked after.

They have their story with Afghanistan, hence why nothing will ever happen to them despite their Taliban issues.

If an associate wins against a full member every so often, it just means they get to keep playing the "cinderella story" feels and don't have to do anything to develop those nations.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Not sure who’s entirely to blame (ICC or ZC) more but I hear it’s been a rocky start behind the scenes for some of the teams :lol: Hotel bookings going missing, buses not turning up to collect teams from the airport, etc.

Probably ZC’s fault on the logistical side but the ICC’s fault for allocating an absolute shoestring budget for this tournament. A significantly smaller hosting budget/fee than the 2018 event apparently.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This is where BCCI needs to be a little considerate and not look to have everything from the ICCs revenue. Broadcasters, sponsors, fans don't pay to see India play themselves... They pay because a contest like Ind-Aus, Ind- RSA, or a multi national event where teams from all over the world participate, is exciting to watch.

If ICC makes India A play India B and India C and call it a world Cup will we get the same revenue? So the entire logic behind India alone deserves all the ICC wealth is completely Flawed.

To grow the game we need more nations to play their best XIs and that's how cricket will grow survive and remain relevant.

franco vazquez

Post by franco vazquez »

Man the UAE and Nepal teams are the worst. One of them is a den of fixers and will never be serious about cricket regardless of the talent they have and the other one is breeding a rapist with an effin annoying fanbase. I’m so disappointed by Namibia not making it to this tournament, they should have really somehow managed to get Wiese for the last few League 2 games or at least the play off tournament.

As for Oman, another team which is a complete mockery of cricket. I don’t think they have even a single under 30 player in the team. And Netherlands and Scotland as usual getting shafted by the county and less said about the USA team the better. They are going to get stronger by hiring players in the future. Major League Cricket is a joke too like they have players from Pakistan, India, SA who are not even USA nationals as the local players in that league. My hopes are pinned on Ireland but they will falter under pressure too so Zimbabwe this time should make use of home conditions better. Don’t want to see SL and WI in the WC again

franco vazquez

Post by franco vazquez »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:05 am
Not sure who’s entirely to blame (ICC or ZC) more but I hear it’s been a rocky start behind the scenes for some of the teams :lol: Hotel bookings going missing, buses not turning up to collect teams from the airport, etc.

Probably ZC’s fault on the logistical side but the ICC’s fault for allocating an absolute shoestring budget for this tournament. A significantly smaller hosting budget/fee than the 2018 event apparently.
I’m surprised because this tournament is more likely to be better than 2018 one in terms of broadcasting at least all the matches will be available for viewing (TV or stream). Whereas I’m surprised there is absolutely no mention on ICC media pages about this tournament or even warm up matches. Can’t even get the scorecards

franco vazquez

Post by franco vazquez »

A but unrelated tho well not completely but whenever I talk about BCCI/ICC eating the game, Indian fans get triggered and keep on calling me names for being a Pakistani.

But what’s the take of neutrals on it? World Cup qualifiers should be the second most important event of the year yet it’s getting an ass treatment even worse than U19 Women’s WC earlier this year. WC schedule which is set to be hosted in 3 months time has not even been announced yet and the marketing for the tournament is all time low.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Surely cricket under India's watch has regressed as a global sport but let's not act as if they planted the seed to this. For starters the whole concept of full membership is insane and it's been there since the beginning of time. I don't know whether any other sport ever has done such in their history. Kenya was a strong force in the late 90's and early 2000's. They were easily better than Bangladesh by miles. Yet it was the Bangladeshis who got full membership status. I firmly believe if the kenyans were given test status back then their cricket wouldn't have gone to the dungeons. Then there is this automatic qualification to the world cup. Being a football fan as well , this doesn't make sense to me. You can't have a 10 team world cup and expect the game to grow. Also there is the arrogance of the full members along with pointless bilaterals all throughout the year. The ICC WC Super league was a welcome change but they got rid of that as well. Let's be honest , it becomes boring when you play the same 2-3 nations every single year. Doesn't really fill you with excitement. A prolonged qualification system involving every icc member for a period of 4 years might be the only way to save international cricket. In simple terms once you remove the arrogance and overconfidence of the guys at the top , then I hope the game has a future.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Although time is flying as it alwasy does...this tournament just seems to keep being a few days away.

Anticipation is killer, lol!

Should be an incredible tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)