Over 50s World Cup squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Terryalderman

Over 50s World Cup squad

Post by Terryalderman »

https://www.clubcricket.co.za/latestnew ... ays/?amp=1

Some familiar faces! Is there 3 Goodwin brothers?

Googly

Re: Over 50s World Cup squad

Post by Googly »

George is the dad and then Murray, Darryl and Brian are the sons.
Brian is a great bloke, always having a laugh and in the thick of things. Lift probably doesn't go to the top floor :lol:
Jayden is son of Murray

Darryl was a very good cricketer as well.

Terryalderman

Post by Terryalderman »

Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am
Brian is a great bloke, always having a laugh and in the thick of things. Lift probably doesn't go to the top floor :lol:
Jayden is son of Murray

I assume Darryl and Brian still live in Zim?
Jayden hasn’t been able to crack the WA side this year, played a lot of 2nd XI though.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think they're all in Aus now.

That break Jayden took to follow his religious calling (Mormon?), makes an already difficult sport to crack even more so. If you recall he was supposed to come here but the covid scam put that on hold, so he went up North and did his year there. The youngest guy to ever get a WA contract.
I'm a bit confused, I don't recall them being Mormons when they were here. Murray and Jayden are, maybe Murray married into it? Or they all were, but were non practicing?
There were a few Mormons kicking around Zim in the 80's, and obviously there's a few left if Jayden was going to come out here. He would have been a useful addition to our cricket. I'd guess its not completely off the cards, the lure of international cricket for a good player is strong.

jw2
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jw2 »

Terryalderman wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 pm
Googly wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:02 am
Jayden is son of Murray

I assume Darryl and Brian still live in Zim?
Jayden hasn’t been able to crack the WA side this year, played a lot of 2nd XI though.
Watch this recent Darrell Goodwin interview:
https://www.facebook.com/anthony.telfer ... 3898965510

Googly

Post by Googly »

Congrats on the honourable mention.
He's a bit behind the times on what is happening with our cricket. That applies to quite a few ex Zim and club cricketers. They like to reminisce and all, but don't actively follow our cricket. I don't think they could even name 11 current cricketers, we don't need to send scouts into the bush to find the next Henry.
He rightfully pointed out that we've always lacked depth.
That would have been some neat footwork getting SRC approval to represent Zim without the inclusion of any black players. Henry Olonga was our first black international player and he is only 46.