Power-sharing Deal to Go Ahead

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Power-sharing Deal to Go Ahead

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I hope this paves the way for some fundamental changes in Zimbabwe, Tsvangirai becoming PM is only the first step.

It will be interesting to see what Mugabe does now. The only way Zimbabwe can progress short-term is if Mugabe's role in government is greatly diminished... I can't see sanctions being lifted unless that happens because he's done too much damage.

Tendai Biti seems to be a good choice for the Finance ministry. While Tsvangirai is the official leader, I think Biti is the one keeping it all running in the background (correct me if I'm wrong) - that's how it seemed in the 2008 presidential election anyway. If anyone can spearhead an initiative to turn Zimbabwe's economy around, I think Tendai Biti is the man to do it. It is really going to take a miracle though, without agriculture which is all but dead now where can Zimbabwe possibly hope to generate money? Mining can't exactly be relied upon, there are places far more appealing to investors than Zimbabwe. Unfortunately I can't help but feel this has been a bit of a set up - if the economy and entire situation hasn't improved in a year from now, will Mugabe shift the blame to MDC and use their positions in key ministries as political ammunition?

It's hard to see Zimbabwe turning around and making a decent recovery until MDC are in complete control of parliament. The majority of skilled workers aren't going to return unless Mugabe is gone. Maybe MDC's main focus should be to work towards fresh new (democratic) elections, ensuring international monitors, and the subsequent creation of a new constitution. Wasn't Lord Soames staying in Zimbabwe early during Mugabe's tenure, to see that everything was being done correctly? And also as someone Mugabe could turn to due to Soames' many years of experience in government, so Mugabe could consult with him over various cabinet appointments, etc. Not that I would ever expect it to happen, but should MDC ever govern solely it wouldn't be a bad idea to get someone experienced (maybe someone other than Mbeki :roll:) so that MDC could learn to govern well.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Power-sharing Deal to Go Ahead

Post by maehara »

Remember that the unity government is time-limited anyway - 18 months (ish) to create a new constitution and electoral law, before internationally-monitored elections at the end. Constitutional Amendment 19 includes some provisions that will help MDC electorally (changes in citizenship rules - if I'm reading them right, I may be able to claim mine back now...), they also want to introduce postal voting for citizens overseas, which currently isn't allowed. The whole thing is meant to gradually "ease" Zanu-PF out of office.

Whether it works as intended is another thing. We'll have to wait and see.