Streak unveiled as Matabeleland Tuskers head coach

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Streak unveiled as Matabeleland Tuskers head coach

Post by zimfan1 »

Streak unveiled as Matabeleland Tuskers head coach PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 01 September 2012 20:57

Senior Sports Reporter

FORMER national cricket team captain Heath Streak was yesterday unvealed as the new Matabeleland Tuskers head coach.

Streak takes over the position from David Houghton who has since been re-assigned by Zimbabwe Cricket to struggling Masvingo based franchise Southern Rocks. The 38-year old Streak held a series of meetings with the franchise chief executive officer Stanley Staddon and the players. Streak has for the past two seasons been assistant coach to Houghton with Tuskers capturing the Logan Cup in those two seasons.

Speaking shortly after concluding the discussions at Queens Sports Club yesterday Streak said he was delighted to get a chance as head coach and said he was anticipating a tough season ahead as Tuskers, champions in the Castle Lager Logan Cup, aim to defend the trophy they have had for two consecutive seasons.

“It is an honour for me to be involved since I am a former Matabeleland player. We expect a challenging season. We have a good squad of players and we are looking at success even in the shorter formats of the game as well,” said Streak.

Gavin Ewing who has led Tuskers for two seasons will again continue in that role with Charles Coventry, Keegan Meth, Njabulo Ncube, Tawanda Mupariwa, John Nyumbu, Glenn Querl, Bradley Staddon, Brian Chari, Godwill Mamhiyo and Terrence Duffin the other players with contracts.

National team pace bowler Christopher Mpofu, the only Tuskers player with a national contract will play for the franchise when he is not on national duty. Players on pay as you play deals are the England-based duo of Sean Ervine and Mluleki Nkala, locally based Steven Trenchard, Thabo Mboyi and Sean Williams who makes a return to the Tuskers set up after walking out on the franchise last season in protest over remuneration.

Matabeleland Tuskers start their official preparations for the upcoming season with a training session at Queens Sports Club tomorrow afternoon
http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/index.php?o ... Itemid=142

Robin

Re: Streak unveiled as Matabeleland Tuskers head coach

Post by Robin »

No Craig Ervine, Dabengwa or Ngulube (especially surprisng considering Wheater is not returning)?

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

ngulube i dont know sweet f all about, but my guess is dabengwa has got the chop (old and shit) and craig.....im guessing he's gotten a better deal somewhere else?

maybe recruited back to the rocks with big Dave?

or could be highly inaccurate as usual.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Robin

Post by Robin »

The squad has a strong seam attack:- Mpofu, Meth, Querl, Mupariwa, Staddon, Mboyi, Nkala & S.Ervine; can't see Kyle Bowie getting much of a look-in.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

But Kyle bowie looked really average, is he even good enough to make it ? :roll:

Robin

Post by Robin »

I thought he looked quite good and bowled without any luck. He does, though, possibly lack a yard of pace to make it a a First Class player. However, I thought the same about Price and Muzhange after the last U19 World Cup (Chatara looked class).

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Craig would be wise to get a full season for Rocks again rather than having the mix up of players in the Tuskers lineup.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Robin wrote:I thought he looked quite good and bowled without any luck.
Bowled too many half vollies for my liking, and too wide.
Robin wrote:He does, though, possibly lack a yard of pace to make it a a First Class player. However, I thought the same about Price and Muzhange after the last U19 World Cup (Chatara looked class).
They could all clock up to decent pace though, 80mph to 82mph. Bowie was operating around 74, 75mph at best mate