Sourthen Rocks

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Robin

Sourthen Rocks

Post by Robin »

The make up of the Rocks squad for the forthcoming season will be interesting. I can't believe Dave Houghton has gone there expecting to turn last years squad of club cricketers into a first class force. Of that squad Chibhabha, Vitori, R.Kaia, Mutumbani, Panyangara(if not otherwise engaged), Muzarabani and Kamungozi are anywhere near First Class standard. I would therefore have expected an aggresive recruitment policy; but it has been very quiet. Who could they sign to improve the squad?

In another press article posted on this board eleswhere, Craig Ervine and Keith Dabengwa are noticable by their omission from the Tuskers squad (although this may be a journalistic inaccuracy).

Overseas returnees such as Ireland or Goodwin would be a possibility, but by now, you would have expected some press coverage.

The choice of the school leavers from the U19 squad would help; Zimwa (a great option considering the Rocks impotent spin attack over recent years), Bowie, Bruce or Bentley?

Previous U19 internationals who have yet to nail down a regular place elesewhere - Price, Moor, Mazhawidza or Chirimuuta?

Does anybody else have thoughts on who would improve the Rocks or any gossip about new signings?

For sure, it is going to take some very intelligent and creative recruitment to raise the standard of the Rocks to a level where they are competitive with the other four Franchises and thus justifying their continued existance. I hope Mr Houghton is the man for the job.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Sourthen Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I hope he can conjure something up.

gargamel
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by gargamel »

To be honest Rocks is a difficult franchise to be in considering the town in which their based is one that most would slit their wrists. In addition the current contracts on offer have no major incentives for possible recruitment. a 7or 6 month contract for only $230 a month you cant imagine the boys being able to support a young family let alone to balance personal expenses.Chamu Chibaba has been offered a contract at Mash Eagles and he has left. The franchise is at its bare bones and i know the CEO will most likely take boys from Takashinga club as usual.

I know Peacemore Zimwa is in discussions with Mountaineers and he may go on a rookie pay as you play deal . Gary Chirimuta is more favourable to that type of contract as he is into farming as he works out with the Eagles franchise. These two gentelman along with Mazvita Zambuko deserve a chance at franchise level and i hope they get offered decent contracts to play somewhere and get rewarded financially to launch their careers.
Rainbow Cricket Club First and Always

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Chibhabha gone, eh?