ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
TapsC2

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by TapsC2 »

Whatever the reason is, he has signed our death warrant. Chances of qualifying have severely dropped. Extremely disappointing.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by secretzimbo »

Apparently there was talk of this at the T10 launch the other night

‘Homesick for the U.K.’ is the reason supposedly.

I’m still sure there may be more to it though. He had talked of mental health problems over the last couple of years after the job Rafiq did on him so maybe there’s deeper stuff. Hope he’s okay.

Incredibly disappointing and a gigantic blow for our Qualifying chances.

It’s a shame because overall the mood music around our cricket remains overwhelmingly positive at the moment.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Couldn’t he have just done this after the qualifiers?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I’m sure it’s nothing similar but I can’t help thinking about BT’s unexpected, hasty retirement too….

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Has to be more to it.
To retire before the biggest tournament in Zimbabwe calendar, agaisjt your uncles reliance. is a really shitty thing to do.
If his wife hates Zim just send her away early and retire after.

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I agree with all the above. He has really done Houghton dirty here. Big time. I'm sure he was the person who vouched for him the most too. You can't hang on for 2 more months and at least help the people who gave you a second chance?. If he didn't want to go to the world cup that's fine but the qualifiers mean a lot to every stakeholder here. This is just wrong on so many levels

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

The line "I will be making no further comments on this at this moment" makes me believe there is definitely more to it. :roll:

What can be the reason ?

1. Fell out with the board for some reason
2. Mental health issues cropped up
3. Homesickness of not living in England more
4. Not enjoying playing for Zimbabwe

Whatever it is, very sad for the fans ! :(

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I legit cannot think of one sportsman anywhere in the world that has retired before a championship/major tournament who wasn’t:
1- pushed out/ not selected
2- injured
3- suspended/banned

NO ONE just gets ‘over it’ before the big dance and payday

Let alone when the coach is family and vouched

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I haven't heard anything else other than he/his wife being 'homesick' yet but I guess we will just have to wait and see what comes out. It's highly suspicious.

Also releasing his statement via the PCA (the England players union) is weird too.