ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sam_ahm

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by sam_ahm »

I don't think ZC needs Regis. Least now that Madande has started to show a lot of promise, I'll stick with Madande.

Instead of Welch, Naqvi or Bennet, I would say ZC should take a look at Ben Curran and J Campbell first. Bennet's time will come, he will need at least one full season and do well to stake a claim in the side. Curran is young, and he'll be very keen to do well and make a name for himself.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: ESPNCRICINFO reports that Gary Ballance has retired from all cricket - does anybody know details, what happened ?

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya I agree, Madande has done well and the last thing we need is another 37 year old tbh. Also he’s been playing sub-district cricket in Australia so not even the highest level.

Sounds like he is definitely making a reappearance this winter though. I’ve always been a fan and his century against Bangladesh last year was fabulous. But it feels like we should move on now

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:29 pm
I don't think ZC needs Regis. Least now that Madande has started to show a lot of promise, I'll stick with Madande.

Instead of Welch, Naqvi or Bennet, I would say ZC should take a look at Ben Curran and J Campbell first. Bennet's time will come, he will need at least one full season and do well to stake a claim in the side. Curran is young, and he'll be very keen to do well and make a name for himself.
Definitely agree. Madande showed some grit with both bat and gloves in the dutch series. He'll only grow. You need young and upcoming guys and Curran and Campbell are worth the shout. Campbell averages 36 in List A cricket and is handy with the ball too more than often. Also I can see Curran being a like for like for Ballance albiet a huge drop in quality. He has the age on his side with the county experience so never say never. Having said that if available we should be happy with either Naqvi or Welch. Waiting game now folks.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:26 pm
Being homesick for Yorkshire is like being homesick for Gokwe.
You don't know Yorkshire! But it would be a poor wife to ruin her husband's career for such a reason.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I guess it really does give Curran another chance. Life is funny sometimes. Somebody somewhere is celebrating that this happened.

I suspect for Regis it's probably for the qualifiers and I also think he might be coming not to necessarily take Madande's spot. Let's not forget how shaky Wes has been. We need options. Craig and Sean are so injury prone these days.

Or maybe another way of looking at right now would be that our top 7 is probably

Kaia
Wes
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Madande
Burl

If there is an injury or 1 of the 2 kids fails to perform who is in the squad to replace them? The probably next choices are Marumani, Shumba and Munyonga. Is that enough to win a qualifier that intense? Regis is needed in my opinion

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Another angle is also not just about the batting. Madande didnt 100% convince with the gloves. From what I have seen Madande is very capable of making this team with the bat only. It could be Wes for example who could make way if he start struggling again and Regis comes in and takes over the gloves

Marumani has also failed dismally at this level. I don't think he should be in the squad for the qualifiers just because he can keep

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:01 am
I guess it really does give Curran another chance. Life is funny sometimes. Somebody somewhere is celebrating that this happened.
I’m still not convinced Curran has or had committed himself to ZC, and I’d say this debacle with Ballance will definitely make ZC cautious with English based Zimbos.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

jaybro wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:44 am
TapsC2 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:01 am
I’m still not convinced Curran has or had committed himself to ZC, and I’d say this debacle with Ballance will definitely make ZC cautious with English based Zimbos.
He did commit/try. Didn’t work out, and he’s now got a contract playing for a Minor County as their Pro for the season

Googly

Post by Googly »

I believe he is now coaching at an upmarket school.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Thinking about the replacement on short notice. I really want to have Regis Chakabva back in the squad.

Also now with a decent money freed up from the Ballance contract, should Hilton Cartwright be made an offer ? The calibre of Ballance is irreplaceable. But Zim born Cartwright can add value. Don't think he is involved with the Div 1 or 2 counties this season. It's just a thought.