Tour of sri lanka cant happen

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Tour of sri lanka cant happen

Post by zimfan1 »

it is not possible to fit this in as the canada series starts on the 18th of march and sri lanka finish there tour of pakistan on the 6th of march which means that they have 10 days to fit in the series

perhaps we should try and play this series in august to spread out the cricket we are playing so that we do not go long periods without playing international cricket

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Tour of sri lanka cant happen

Post by maehara »

The tour is a Future Tours Programme fixture, so it has to be played unless both boards agree to postpone it. The series before and after make it a tight fit, but it's not impossible. For example:

2-5 March: 4-day tour match against a Sri Lankan representative side. Doesn't matter that the national side would still be in Pakistan at this point.
8 March: 1st ODI
10 March: 2nd ODI
12 March: 3rd ODI
14 March: 4th ODI
15 March: 5th ODI

Zim back in Harare for the 1st ODI against Canada on the 18th (although if that's the date that Canada arrive in Zimbabwe, the first match is more likely to be on the 19th/20th)

I agree it would be better to try and spread these things out a bit - too many matches in too short a space of time isn't necessarily good for the players - but it could be done. Just. Although the lack of a fixture list so close to when the tour should be taking place does make me wonder...

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

It seems that Sri Lanka will finish playing test series against Pakistan in March 6th.And it is imagined that the 1st ODI against Canada will be in March 19th.

Between the time I think that it wont be very difficult to arrange the series.10 days are enough to set 5 ODIs.There can be given a day off between 2 ODIs.

Zimbabwe should play against Sri Lanka and Canada as the 2nd choice I mean when the Sri Lankan series is over.If Zimbabwe can play competitively against Sri Lanka or beat them in some ODIs,it will definitely open the eyes of ICC.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

I came across this article this evening

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/090208/Sports/sp200.html

The last paragraph would seem to intimate that Zimbabwe are expected to visit Sri Lanka.

Also this one

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... CfNLjTf3CA

which would seem to confirm a tour.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Thanks for the links,Train Driver.Great WoRk!

I think,cricinfo has done a mistake in the future tours programme list.They say that Sri Lanka will visit Zimbabwe.But that's wrong as the links confirm that.Zimbabwe will visit Sri Lanka in the early stage of March.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

Detective RDS wrote:Thanks for the links,Train Driver.Great WoRk!

I think,cricinfo has done a mistake in the future tours programme list.They say that Sri Lanka will visit Zimbabwe.But that's wrong as the links confirm that.Zimbabwe will visit Sri Lanka in the early stage of March.
Future Tours Programme had Zimbabwe visiting SL last November, with the return series in Zimbabwe in March. The two boards agreed to reverse that - not sure what the reasons where, but there was a statement by ZC ahead of SL's trip to Zim last yer, thanking Sri Lankan Cricket for agreeing to reverse the fixtures.

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Some information about the test series beween Pakistan vs Sri Lanka.

Here is the fixture of the test series:

1st Test-(Feb 21-25)-Karachi
2nd Test-(Mar 1-5)-Lahore

Link: http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/ ... e=schedule

It confirms that Sri Lanka will end playing test cricket against Pakistan in Pakistan in March 5th.Sri Lanka can return to their home the following day means March 6th.Then there can be a day or a couple of days off.So,I think Zimbabwe's 5 match ODI series against Sri Lanka can take place from March 8th/9th.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

cricinfo article on the resignation of Mahela Jayawardene, check out the 2nd paragraph guys :D

http://uk.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content ... 90368.html

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

It seems that Mahela Jayawardene will step down as a captain after the test series against Pakistan.He will probably handover the captaincy to current Sri Lankan vice captain Kumar Sangakkara which means Sangakkara will captain the team in their home series against Zimbabwe.

I think,it wasnt a right decision for Jayawardene to step down.He is by now the most successful captain of Sri Lanka.I think his recent batting performance compelled him to quit captaincy as I think captaincy was creating pressaure on him.He averages around 14 in his last 14 ODIs probably with the bat.Moreover he wasnt picked for the only Twenty-20 match against India.Mahela is talking about the future programme especially World Cup 2011.But he is now 31,by that time he will be 33,not very old so I think he could been captained the team then if he wished for.Murailitharan is also shocked with this decision.These are some possible reasons.

maehara
Administrator

Post by maehara »

I dropped an email to Sri Lanka Cricket re: the tour schedule, and here's their response:
Itinerary is not finalized yet. Please keep an eye on our www.srilankacricket.lk for details.