Zimbabwe Vs Nepal | ICC CWC Qualifier | 18 June 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
mnelson68

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Nepal | ICC CWC Qualifier | 18 June 2023

Post by mnelson68 »

:evil:
Donald wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:11 pm
Evans for Chatara next match you would think?
No more Chatara , bad selection

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

As much as 2018 was traumatic, looking back I felt a real leader would have told all the senior players that day that in 5 years time they have to make it right. Use that pain and turn it into a never ending fire. Ervine and Williams are 2 guys on a mission and with something to prove. Not to us but mainly to themselves. Raza too in the medium term. They are good enough. On most international standards. They have to show that even if its the last time..

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Will try and watch the highlights later but this is a good win. To do so with overs to spare and only 2 wickets down is very commanding. It's the kind of form we need to show all the way through. No doubt the matches will get tougher, but hopefully this win is the boost the lads need to build some confidence and know that they are very capable.

WI always do this thing in tournaments where they start slow and look vulnerable, but then get better, so we need to be on it.

Another thing of note (not sure if it's been mentioned), we broke Sandeeps record of 33 games in a row with a wicket taken.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

So I managed to avoid the result all morning and watched highlights of the Nepal innings and the full replay of the Zimbabwe innings. I must admit I was a bit nervous when I saw 291 was the target, but honestly it never seemed in doubt. Great performance from Ervine and Williams. How rare is it for a Zimbabwean opener to still be there at the end of the innings?!
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

Very rare Eugene! Great finish after letting them get away from us. Ervine cranking out the tons lately.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

mnelson68 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:51 pm

Come on mate. You can't drop Chats after just one bad game. I ,100 percent agree that he shouldn't feature against the windies but you've to give him a go against the dutch. He did really well in the shaheens series.

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:02 am
mnelson68 wrote:

Come on mate. You can't drop Chats after just one bad game. I ,100 percent agree that he shouldn't feature against the windies but you've to give him a go against the dutch. He did really well in the shaheens series.
Chatara is a steward of the game. On his day he is the best seamer we have. He had a horrible game but the other bowlers rose to the occasion, which is something you always need in team sports. More so Masakadza. He put the breaks on created pressure and took wickets. He was the difference between a 320+ score and 290. Good allround team effort this win.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I think we need to take a 'horses for courses' approach with team selection, especially in regard to the third seamer.

If the deck looks like it might have some assistance for the seamers, I'd definitely play Chats as he swings it more than the rest. But if the decks are flat or slow etc like the one for the Nepal game, I'd be looking at Jongwe for his change ups, slower balls and cutters.

Evans could be an option if the deck has some pace in it, but I doubt we will see that type of pitch in this tournament. Evans can take wickets, but he's been super expensive at times too.
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Crastle_cog wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:02 am
mnelson68 wrote:

Had one good game but has struggled for the past 6 months. Economy rate is too high , not up to it anymore , bowls too many 4 balls these days and is a shocking fieldsman

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I would be surprised if they drop anybody for the next game. Chatara had a bad game but against the shaheens he showed he can be useful. They will back him. That was a batting paradise. A better team would have had us chasing 350.