Zimbabwe Vs West Indies | ICC CWC Qualifier | 24 June 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Zimbabwe Vs West Indies | ICC CWC Qualifier | 24 June 2023

Post by CholeZimbo »

Might as well start the discussion early.

Can we gamble and bat first if we win the toss. A big score against the Windies might be hard to chase, especially against their attack and also scoreboard pressure. On the other hand, a slightly below par, say 270 is defendable, especially if we make reference to the low scores we have defended on many occasions against decent opposition. The opposition becomes slightly less aggressive, our bowlers and fielders suddenly become more disciplined and before you know it, they need 14 of the last over. Having said that, it could also be a good toss to lose if the Windies opt to bowl first, I back us defending against stronger opposition.

Gumbie
Kaia
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Burl
Madande
Masakadza
Jongwe/Evans (tough one, but I am leaning towards Jongwe, especially if we have to defend)
Ngarava
Muzarabani

My thoughts

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe Vs West Indies | ICC CWC Qualifier | 24 June 2023

Post by sloandog »

Pray to Christ that we bowl first. This tournament there will be a heart-breaking moment for one team based around the toss.
The West Indies look like their batting is fragile up top with King and Charles. Pooran has the potential to be hit and miss too. Hope is the big wicket. He tends to play a lot of old school ODI knocks where he paces himself and then explodes towards the end. As I say, he'll be the big wicket.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

CholeZimbo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:41 am
Might as well start the discussion early.

Can we gamble and bat first if we win the toss. A big score against the Windies might be hard to chase, especially against their attack and also scoreboard pressure. On the other hand, a slightly below par, say 270 is defendable, especially if we make reference to the low scores we have defended on many occasions against decent opposition. The opposition becomes slightly less aggressive, our bowlers and fielders suddenly become more disciplined and before you know it, they need 14 of the last over. Having said that, it could also be a good toss to lose if the Windies opt to bowl first, I back us defending against stronger opposition.

Gumbie
Kaia
Ervine
Williams
Raza
Burl
Madande
Masakadza
Jongwe/Evans (tough one, but I am leaning towards Jongwe, especially if we have to defend)
Ngarava
Muzarabani

My thoughts
Bowl first we are doing well chasing . Madhevere will play only change I can think of is jongwe/Evans for chatara . I might go with jongwe as i think he will be more effective on flat pitch with his slower ones and cutters

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Ya I also worry about Evans on pitches as flat as these so I’d probably lean towards Jongwe. I’d prefer either over Chatara though

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I'll prefer to chase no matter what. Need to restrict the WI to under 300 and then take it from there, that's assuming the wicket is same as the earlier two games that Zim played.

Honestly, beating WI on a flat deck is terribly tough. They are big hitters and on a flat deck they will come off, what will stop them? I would have liked a sportive wicket, may be more of a bowling wicket to ensure their big hitters don't come off. In Zimbabwe, Ervine, Williams, Raza, Gumbie, Madhevere, Madande, all are proper batters. So I don't like this flat deck approach.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Honestly it's highly unlikely that we will be chasing less than 300 if the pitches are that flat. I think if we win the toss it's 50/50 and if they win the toss it's 60/40 in their favour. Its going to be a big big ask guys I'm not going to lie. The crowd is going to play a big part. I'm praying we can keep it under 320 if we are chasing and score 340 if we bat first. The West Indies have enough firepower that's the problem.

As for the lineup I think Jongwe ahead of Evans on a flat deck. I see him having to bowl maybe 6 overs max because I think Wellington, Burl, Raza and Williams might get 30 overs in. Jongwe I also feel has the potential to contribute with the bat. I'm thinking Wes will be given another chance because he can play pace well and maybe Gumbie misses out. Got a feeling they throwing Ervine into the deepend

Kaia
Ervine
Wes
Williams
Raza
Madande
Burl
Jongwe
Wellington
Ngarava
Blessing

tawac
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by tawac »

Big big game ahead of us. West Indies seem to already in the groove and firing in all departments. Our bowling hasnt be top notch but we cant afford the same slip ups against West Indies. Any freebies and dropped catches will definitely cost us the game. Holder and Joseph are going to be a handful for Gumbie upfront but Gumbie hasnt really done anything wrong to warrant him dropped. In as much as Kaia is better suited to face the big quicks I would still give Gumbie. Wes has it all to do in this game to prove he deserves to be in the side. Jongwe has to come in for Chatara.
CHRISTOPHER MPOFU: 'The problem was fear of failure. I used to think that when I played, if I didn't do well in one game, I would lose my place for the next one but now I've let go of that'

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Why are people wanting to drop Joylord? He's done nothing wrong has he?

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Zimbabwe don't often do well in such crunch games, I must admit I'm nervous for this. I know a loss isn't the end of it and we are sure of reaching the Super 6s so we can still make it but I'm still very nervous.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I think this game is essentially a must-win for us. I don't like the idea of needing to beat Sri Lanka to qualify.

I would keep Gumbie up top. I'm not sure he has the technique to succeed longterm but he is playing a useful role at the moment.

I would rather we bowl first and chase. What is a par score? 300? Keep them under 300 and I think we can do it.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes