The singing

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

The singing

Post by Googly »

Here's a big ask.

Taps can you please shed some light on the singing. The white boys want to know the words of the songs.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: The singing

Post by secretzimbo »

I learnt a fair amount yesterday but can’t say I know what much of it means :lol: I think some of them are war songs and some are hunting songs

Ming
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by Ming »

There are various versions of baya wabaya recorded over the last 40 years, but its origins are much older...not sure the crowd is doing much more than singing the chorus!
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The fan favourite basically goes like "why do you give him alcohol, why do you give him booze, look now he is drunk he is talking nonsense". I think it comes from the chorus of a song

The good thing about Zimbabwe is that anyone who went to a boys school understands the process of support. This is why you see that even in Australia they were going off. Its part of our DNA

ilovearsenal04

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

My fav is the Raza chant, it basically goes,"Raza is full of Cremora on his balls" its vulgar and the best part is Raza knows this chant and he actually sings it as well!
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:26 am
My fav is the Raza chant, it basically goes,"Raza is full of Cremora on his balls" its vulgar and the best part is Raza knows this chant and he actually sings it as well!
:lol: :lol: Only in Zim :lol:

Ming

Post by Ming »

Raza = Cremora :lol:
Peterhouse U14C 4th change bowler and no. 10 batsman (but only because Aaron didn't have a bat).

Yorker

Post by Yorker »

ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:26 am
Part of his half-century celebration is mimicking a person drinking a cup of tea, I suppose with some Cremora in it. :lol:

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

Can someone tell me what is being said in the "anofamba" chant and also the Burl chant?

Yorker

Post by Yorker »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:49 am
Can someone tell me what is being said in the "anofamba" chant and also the Burl chant?
[Insert player] anofamba neMweya Mutsvene
[Insert player] anofamba neMweya Mutsvene
Akagara (gara)
Akagara (gara)

Losely translated means [insert player] is driven by the Holy Spirit.