Where to from here?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Where to from here?

Post by Crastle_cog »

As much as heartbroken we all are, the ghosts of 2018 signal plenty of changes to take place. Will it be the same?
Does the positive direction of the board in recent memory suggest otherwise? Will Dave stay? What about the big 3 or the succession planning ? Which youngsters would be putting their hands up? Lots of questions. And ideally this thread should we filling up in the coming days as we recover from this hell hound. Over to you guys.....

sloandog

Re: Where to from here?

Post by sloandog »

I don't think it'll be as drastic as it was in 2018. There's a belief with DH. The fact of the matter is that we don't have any batting coming through who could do what Williams or Ervien does.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I'm guessing this is the end of the road for Williams, Raza, and Ervine. I'm concerned that we may not make the next World Cup either, without the big three can one confidently say we are in the top 14 ODI sides? Ireland and Scotland aren't going anywhere, the Netherlands will likely have a steady flow of South Africans mixed in with a few locals, Nepal are on the rise, while Oman and UAE will continue to import guys from the subcontinent.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

eugene wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:30 pm
I'm guessing this is the end of the road for Williams, Raza, and Ervine. I'm concerned that we may not make the next World Cup either, without the big three can one confidently say we are in the top 14 ODI sides? Ireland and Scotland aren't going anywhere, the Netherlands will likely have a steady flow of South Africans mixed in with a few locals, Nepal are on the rise, while Oman and UAE will continue to import guys from the subcontinent.
We're the hosts, so we qualify automatically isn't it?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Crastle_cog wrote:
eugene wrote:
We're the hosts, so we qualify automatically isn't it?
I'm sure we'll find a way.

Remember how we disqualified ourselves from the T20 WC a few years ago?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Yes we qualify automatically and if I was one of those 3 I would do my best to be there. My very best.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Ah yes, good point. We qualify as hosts even though Namibia don't. Can any of the big three last another four years?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:32 pm
Yes we qualify automatically and if I was one of those 3 I would do my best to be there. My very best.
Ervine/Raza would be 41. Williams would be 40. I can't see it happening.

Even if they wanted to, the end seems to come quickly for batsmen. What's to say in a year or two it just dries up for them. Four years is a long time.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Things got very heated both within ZC and here on the forum last time. Let’s hope this time everyone just greaves together and moves on.

I just can’t believe it happened again, but wrenching
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene

Post by eugene »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:34 pm
Googly wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:32 pm
Ervine/Raza would be 41. Williams would be 40. I can't see it happening.

Even if they wanted to, the end seems to come quickly for batsmen. What's to say in a year or two it just dries up for them. Four years is a long time.
Yeah, I don't think there is any chance they stick around. Fast bowling was too much for them today, imagine what another four years will do! It is time to focus on young talent and try and bring a few guys back from overseas with the promise of the 2027 CWC.