Where to from here?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Where to from here?

Post by Googly »

Theyre not children, that was the problem last time. :lol:

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Team for four years hence

Gumbie
Kaia
Bennett
Wes
Welch
Burl
Madande
Mavuta
Evans
Richard
Blessing

That assumes Welch comes back. It looks a lot weaker than this one.

Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

What next? The big 3 will retire. I'd imagine, sadly, Houghton will get the bullet sooner or later - in terms of 4 years ago the final result is identical. No defence will work vs the board.

There's no one to replace the big 3 and we're shy of quick bowlers. A new dark age is here. Make no mistake. Cricket structures are dilapidated and our board corrupt. I'm very much a cricket populist - I want every child to play, but I'm a realist too. It won't revive the team in 2 years.

The support has been a big positive. It may evaporate as we start getting caned by associates. The only way would be to import talent from S.A. , Oz, etc. Which needs money.....and luck.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Money they have. The love for pointy shoes is the stumbling block :lol:

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

I don't think it is right to blame the players or even ZC atm. To be fair to ZC I think they did a commendable job over the last 12 months and have been supportive of the coach and players. Unless we see something like we saw with Heath Streak, I don't think we should start the blame game with ZC.

Let us take a couple of weeks to absorb this. Let us see how things move. It is too early to predict anything as of now.

Only thing I can say is, that a good cricket board and players and fans should always look forward to improve the future and not dwell too much over past. I hope that will be the case with ZC too.

I loved it when Ireland very positively announced their domestic schedule and then the 3 T20s they are playing against india, the very next day after their elimination from WCQs. It shows a positive and refreshing approach.

ZIMFAN

Post by ZIMFAN »

Look I hate the board but by their own pigmy limbo contest bar, they have done well of late. Cleared the debt. Got back Ballance (not their fault he fucked up). Employed Dave.

I am not sure they are to blame. I mean they are always to blame but not for this. And the players didn't choke. That is such bullshit. They faced a quick bowler bowling rockets. He doesn't get three top order wickets we win. He does, so fair fucks.

At any rate. Four years hence the world cup will be at home. We have qualified!!! That will be a draw.

We need to target the diaspora. I know this thread/idea has been done to death but what is the story with Melton? I would throw a load of money at Cartwright. A load. I don't see how Namibia can have Weise play for them when he wouldn't know one part of Windhoek from another. Cartwright can play in Oz and jet in for the international games. A bit like a way better Mire.

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Well ultimately, we're going to need to look overseas, otherwise we're stuck with Tsiga and Makoni..

Byrom and nick welch, with the promise of a home world cup, have to be the targets with the bat. Hopefully Ben Curran hasn't given up and he gives it another crack this domestic season, and apart from that I've no idea who else. Fingers crossed we can retain Myers, too.

We've got a total depletion of fast bowling stocks. There's nobody in the wings who would be worth a shot and I can't think of many overseas boys.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Schadendorf hasn't played any cricket for Nottingham and nor will he whilst Tom Moore's there. There's no yard stick.

Alistair Frost has turned into a very very handy batter so again, he's somebody who we could target, and he bowls useful medium pace too.

Campbell jnr looks like a decent LOI option. Bennett looks like a player but is still extremely young. Schonken is still in school.

There's some irons in fires and in a couple of years you'd hope these youngsters would be ready for A team cricket or better yet, the national side. What worries me is there here and now. Take Ervine and Williams out of that side and it looks scarily stretched.

franco vazquez

Post by franco vazquez »

This is a huge blow for ZC and players. Another bottlejob similar to WT20 2022 and WCQ 2018. The difference between Wiese for Namibia and other Zimbos in county is that if they play for Zimbabwe they are most likely to lose their county spot since they will have to register as overseas

Bulawayo Boy
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Bulawayo Boy »

My father would say that every year of economic mismanagement takes 10 years of correct and careful economic management to rectify.

There's a cricket parallel here. You smash your own cricket to bits it's going to take a long time to put right. Add to that that we are not a huge nation, let alone a huge cricketing one. The odds are stacked....

Still. We can remember fondly........the 1999 WC was great. Loved beating India and SA, and having Neil Johnson scare the shit outta the Aussies! That was some hectic shit :lol: