Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by sloandog »

Still think Sam Curran is over rated. He rarely comes off with the bat

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Also, please stop writing 'lol' in messages

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Well, there are a lot of philologists who might just be lolling around sucking on lollipop and using kiloliters of xylol to dissolve pyrogallol. It would be a lollygag to stop them from doing that.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:00 pm
Yeah I guess we shouldn't have bothered with it. Just play a dozen rounds of Logan Cup each year in front of 8 spectators on a Tuesday morning in Mutare. You know, in preparation for all that test cricket we play. :?

Sorry John but I think this tournament is largely a good thing and the first couple of days have been mostly good. Circus is harsh.
We don't play enough domestic white ball cricket. 8 Pro fifty matches and a week long T20 comp a season is no way enough.

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:46 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Yeah I guess we shouldn't have bothered with it. Just play a dozen rounds of Logan Cup each year in front of 8 spectators on a Tuesday morning in Mutare. You know, in preparation for all that test cricket we play. :?

Sorry John but I think this tournament is largely a good thing and the first couple of days have been mostly good. Circus is harsh.
We don't play enough domestic white ball cricket. 8 Pro fifty matches and a week long T20 comp a season is no way enough.
I agree....

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

This format is seriously crap, however, I certainly won't complain on the quality of players. Ashton Turner, Beau Webster, Ben McDermott, Hatzoglou all had a fantastic BBL last season. Tymal Mills, Taskin Ahmed are class bowlers, Gurbaz, Tom Curran, Donovan Ferraira, Karim Janat, Cottrell are just a few of the names I can remember who are very good players... International quality.

Meanwhile Saurabh Netravalkar, although a decent bowler, has got 6 wickets in MLC... The same USA side was smashed for 401 by Zimbabwe.

So on the quality part, I won't complain at all but as I said, the format is crap. This could so easily have been a T20 competition probably with just one round of games within the same duration... Or two rounds with another 4-5 days added.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:46 am
secretzimbo wrote:

Oh absolutely, especially the domestic T20. But this T10 will be really beneficial for quite a few of our players too I'm sure. Better than twiddling their thumbs all winter.

Googly

Post by Googly »

sloandog wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:32 pm
Tom curran has really fallen off the wagon I terms of his career progression. Given up red ball cricket, probably won't play got England again and appears to be only batting for Surrey in T20 cricket.
He must be worth some good money by now.
He's a good player, it's not like he's gotten worse.
I'd say his England days are done. There's really good money in these T10 and 20 leagues.
Theyre owned and run by the same bunch of blokes and they face an interesting dilemma because they have to pick a few black guys and a few white guys and whatever local guys to make it fly and to give it some international flavour. I mean they could pack (no pun intended) it out with quality guys from the sub continent who are probably in most instances as good or better.
I'd say Tom's days are probably numbered at Surrey unless he can find a fresh burst. If he's not being picked as a bowler they have more promising batters to choose from.
Theyre picking him as a pure batsman ahead of Ryan Patel, which is just plain laughable. He used to continuously get picked ahead of Pillans and Atkinson who, in my humble opinion, are better bowlers.
I'm not gunning the guy hes a good player, but he has had some red carpet treatment from the get go. it's a game of millimeters, but recognize the millimeters.

He could certainly have a role here as a seaming all rounder.
That would certainly throw a cat amongst the pigeons for Luke J and Brad E.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The t10 format is not shit for spectators!!
3 games to watch, one after the other, is bloody outstanding. The less you know about cricket the better this format is for spectators, so it's ideal for Zim.

ZC have to sort the pitch out!!
Some deliveries from seriously quick seamers are barely getting off the ground. The bowlers are actually getting on top of the batters. I'm OK with it, but its not a six fest.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There are thousands of these white balls being used. I don't know what make they are, but I'm guessing they're not great quality.