Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by secretzimbo »

Thank goodness Tino is back

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Looks like a bigger crowd today so far. Wonder if they will stick around after the Harare match ends?

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

They will if they know what’s good for them lol.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

As good as this tournament may be for Zimbabwe, I still can't fathom how this format interests anyone. Also, is there any guarantee this is an annual thing? Don't these T10 tournaments pop up and then disappear all over the world?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Notice that none of the Pakistanis (except Hafeez) nor the UAE players are here. What happened there? Visas?

There's quite a few replacement players popping up. Bulawayo have had to play 5 Zim players this evening. Plus a couple of Aussies who weren't in their original squad.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:05 pm
Notice that none of the Pakistanis (except Hafeez) nor the UAE players are here. What happened there? Visas?

There's quite a few replacement players popping up. Bulawayo have had to play 5 Zim players this evening. Plus a couple of Aussies who weren't in their original squad.
It is all a bit of a circus really.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Raza looks so one dimensional now. He only looks to pull through midwicket to pacers. I remember raza couple of years ago could smash them over extra covers and point also. I just don't see those shots from him now

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

Can someone try and convince curran to play for zim? :lol: :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Feel like T Curran has fell off the last couple of years but he's bowling beautifully here. You can see the really significant gulf in skill between him and say, a Brad Evans currently.

franco vazquez

Post by franco vazquez »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:44 pm
franco vazquez wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:05 pm
I won’t be surprised if this league makes into the news for some suspected fixing like the the parent t10 league always do. The overseas players are few low quality except for a few county bashers and even the local players spot is being hogged by retired or over the hill players
Considering it's bang in the middle of the English summer, and there's quite a lot of international cricket happening, plus the MLC and the GT20 - I think the quality of international players here is pretty decent actually. Sure, there's a few random guys I've barely heard of and a few over-the-hill but there's some quality too.

There aren't many better bowlers in the world than the likes of Mujeeb and Noor. Nabi is a hell of a player too.
The English contingent of Mills/Banton/Smeed/Curran is pretty good. Patel and Bopara are masters of this kind of cricket.

There's some good South Asians and a few decent Saffers and Aussies too.

And as old as they are, some of the 'legends' are still impressive to see. never thought I'd see Morgan playing in a league in Zimbabwe.
you pay these players a bit of money and they would play even in afghanistan and Zimbabwe is still a much better option for them. These Indian retired players have nothing to play for and same goes for Hafeez and all of them. The English contigent might be good but it tells you about them if they didn't even get selected for the other two competitions who have much better players. Afghan players are probably in Zim because they would have visa issues for the other tournaments