Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Zim Afro T10 | 20th-28th July 2023

Post by Pat_Bee »

Raza is so overrated lol was a real struggle for him today.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

franco vazquez wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:19 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:44 pm
franco vazquez wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:05 pm
I won’t be surprised if this league makes into the news for some suspected fixing like the the parent t10 league always do. The overseas players are few low quality except for a few county bashers and even the local players spot is being hogged by retired or over the hill players
Considering it's bang in the middle of the English summer, and there's quite a lot of international cricket happening, plus the MLC and the GT20 - I think the quality of international players here is pretty decent actually. Sure, there's a few random guys I've barely heard of and a few over-the-hill but there's some quality too.

There aren't many better bowlers in the world than the likes of Mujeeb and Noor. Nabi is a hell of a player too.
The English contingent of Mills/Banton/Smeed/Curran is pretty good. Patel and Bopara are masters of this kind of cricket.

There's some good South Asians and a few decent Saffers and Aussies too.

And as old as they are, some of the 'legends' are still impressive to see. never thought I'd see Morgan playing in a league in Zimbabwe.
you pay these players a bit of money and they would play even in afghanistan and Zimbabwe is still a much better option for them. These Indian retired players have nothing to play for and same goes for Hafeez and all of them. The English contigent might be good but it tells you about them if they didn't even get selected for the other two competitions who have much better players. Afghan players are probably in Zim because they would have visa issues for the other tournaments
I think you are being unfair. The English guys skipped the US league because it's longer and overlapped with the end of the Blast and warm-ups for the Hundred. This T10 fits perfectly in the gap between the two, hence the English guys are available - it's only a 1 week event. The Canada league is full of associate players and I think is even lower key than this T10 tbh despite a handful of good names. And it has Gayle and Shahid Afridi.....talk about retired and washed up! 55 year old Afridi!!!

Even the random Aussies that have turned up here as last-minute replacements - who I've never heard of - they are Shield and BBL players. You don't play Shield cricket if you are a poor cricketer. I'm old enough to remember everyone on here wetting their panties over Naqvi a few months ago, and he sure as shit has never got within 100 miles of a Shield squad.

Hafeez took 6-4 last night. Old or not, mercenary or not, he looked bloody unplayable. World class bowling of the highest quality that last night.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:23 pm
Raza is so overrated lol was a real struggle for him today.
A very poor knock tonight, but it absolutely baffles me how anyone can say Raza is overrated after the last 18 months. Bizarre.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

‘Cause I’m a wind up merchant lol.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Chivanga bowling horribly, looking like he's about to murder someone. Then last ball of the over produces an absolute beauty. Quite a frightening celebration too :lol: Never change please

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Good day for Marumani. 20*(8) this afternoon batting at 7. Promoted to open this evening and got 43(21).

Googly

Post by Googly »

franco vazquez wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:05 pm
I won’t be surprised if this league makes into the news for some suspected fixing like the the parent t10 league always do. The overseas players are few low quality except for a few county bashers and even the local players spot is being hogged by retired or over the hill players
There are some really good players here. It's been great.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

eugene wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:10 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:05 pm
Notice that none of the Pakistanis (except Hafeez) nor the UAE players are here. What happened there? Visas?

There's quite a few replacement players popping up. Bulawayo have had to play 5 Zim players this evening. Plus a couple of Aussies who weren't in their original squad.
It is all a bit of a circus really.
So right!

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Yeah I guess we shouldn't have bothered with it. Just play a dozen rounds of Logan Cup each year in front of 8 spectators on a Tuesday morning in Mutare. You know, in preparation for all that test cricket we play. :?

Sorry John but I think this tournament is largely a good thing and the first couple of days have been mostly good. Circus is harsh.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Tom curran has really fallen off the wagon I terms of his career progression. Given up red ball cricket, probably won't play got England again and appears to be only batting for Surrey in T20 cricket.